Author Topic: WDYTYA - Johnnie Peacock  (Read 4613 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Johnnie Peacock
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
When they visited the street where his ancestors lived in Bootle, it had an L Postcode on the street sign. Doesn't L stand for Liverpool?

Bootle is its own town, and especially so during the 19th century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootle
Bootle (pronounced /ˈbuːtəl/) is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton, Merseyside, England, which in 2001 had a population of 98,449.[2]...Bootle's town hall and other municipal buildings were erected in the last quarter of the 19th century. The population of the town swelled during this period...The town successfully fought against absorption by neighbouring Liverpool in 1903. This was a matter of some civic pride to the people of Bootle...
Historically part of Lancashire,...

guest189040

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
When they visited the street where his ancestors lived in Bootle, it had an L Postcode on the street sign. Doesn't L stand for Liverpool?

Illegitimacy wasn't uncommon for the odd baby,but for a girl to have had 4 illegitimate children by what appeared to have been 4 different men,was certainly not the norm  :o

No it does not mean Liverpool its just postal admin

Rochdale has an OL postcode which is Oldham.

A person who lives in Rochdale would never think that they are part of Oldham.

Kendal has an LA postcode which is Lancaster but Kendal was in the County of Westmorland and since 1974 it has been in Cumbria

Go figure the Post Office!

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
I found it fairly interesting, but so slow it was painful !
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
I thought they extrapolated a lot of speculative stuff from the 'illegitimate' written on Millicent's MC.  My immediate thought was that that was just what the priest wrote, not that it 'proved' that Millicent was a strong woman who was all in-your-face about having no known father, etc. etc.

Melbell

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
Did anyone else notice that Louisa's death certificate described her as the 'widow of David William Voss', so perhaps the unmarried status did bother someone, after all?   The informant was partly obscured but was Elizabeth someone and I think was present at the death.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Nobody else has started a thread . . . so I will ;D

I was surprised that the researcher didn't come up with the obvious answer to the unmarried female relative with 4 children? Maybe, just maybe, the young lady was a prostitute? That has to be considered?

I really liked the format of 30 minutes to paternal; 30 minutes to maternal sides.
Never became too boring.

All-in-all a very good series this time.

I too thought the format was good, it allows for not just maternal/paternal sides to be balanced, but it can help provide an insight into how different two sides of one family can be.

I think the researcher was being diplomatic about the possibility of Louise being a prostitute by allowing Johnny Peacock to come to that conclusion himself. As I remember it, it was he who suggested the pub was perhaps 'more than a pub' and maybe a 'brothel'. The researcher - fairly in my opinion - simply said it was a possibility.

What did come across to me very clearly, was evidence that Louise may well have been subjected to abuse of various kinds. Abuse leads to a loss of self worth, and possibly opened the door to her  - in the words of the researcher - 'turning a trick or two' when she needed money. The other possibility is that it led to her 'taking up with' some real rogues. 'Bad boys' can be very attractive!

To be totally fair to Louise (who isn't here to speak for herself) perhaps she was a prostitute, but the evidence presented only really showed that she had had sex less times than you can count on the fingers of two hands - and to me that doesn't automatically = prostitute  :)

Lindsey

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
What a mess... I only just managed to watch it and then in two lots.. fgs.

I recorded the actual 1st prog  as I need the 'subs' to watch it..  The recording clashed so failed. :(

I downloaded from Iplayer and no Subs - so no joy.

I set it to record the 2nd time it was an actual... in the middle of the night or late at night.. and WE had a power cut half way through.......  phew...

So I ended up watching half of the recorded and half of the down/uploaded and ---- now I am worn out.

But yes of course it was worth watching .. bless him sweet and Niave .. and NOT enough story about Isaac for me.. but yes loved the Voss line..

Warboys.. why is that ringing a bell......

dark corner time..

xin

this is garbled because I now feel that way..      :(    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
Yes I said that out loud, "Bootle in Liverpool"?! Bootle is one of those "near Liverpool" places that gets tagged as Liverpool.

Blue

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
I downloaded from Iplayer and no Subs - so no joy.

Do you not see the subs on iplayer? There should be a speech-bubble thing down the bottom right corner of the picture screen which lets you turn them on, and to pick the text size.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.