Author Topic: Looking for baptism of another John Prior  (Read 828 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for baptism of another John Prior
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
John Prior married Sarah Stanley in Broxted on 9 Nov 1802. I have found baptisms for their first two children in Broxted - James 2 Mar 1806 and Francis 27 Mar 1808. Then they moved to Takeley and had George bapt 19 Mar 1815 and John bapt 30 Nov 1817.

Sarah Stanley was bapt Broxted 31 Oct 1779 d/o Francis and Elizabeth, but no sign of a John Prior being baptised there.

John and Sarah appear on the 1841 census in Takeley both bic, but both died before 1851. John was buried on 5 Oct 1842 Takeley, age at death gives a birth year of about 1791, this is consistent with age in 1841 allowing for rounding.

They may have other children as there is a gap between their marriage and first known child (1802 - 1806) and between the last in Broxted and the first in Takeley (1808 - 1815). Maybe in John's birth town village in these gaps?

In the 1802 - 1806 gap there is a child in Broxted of a John Prior and wife Elizabeth, but I don't believe this is an error (and it should be wife Sarah) because there is an older John Prior with wife Elizabeth in Broxted, unfortunately not old enough to be my John's father.

I've checked baptisms in Takeley in case he moved back there and in Henham.

This thread on some of the later family mainly direct ancestor Francis
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=798820.msg6562410#msg6562410
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for baptism of another John Prior
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
I am a little confused here.
You wrote;
John and Sarah appear on the 1841 census in Takeley both bic, but both died before 1851. John was buried on 5 Oct 1842 Takeley, age at death gives a birth year of about 1791***, this is consistent with age in 1841 allowing for rounding.

If they married 1802 he would be 11 :-\

So I presume that was a typo?

OK Must have been GRO has age 63 for Death Reg.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
At first I thought the child down as Parents John/Elizabeth Prior (WM 20 Apr 1804)  may have been a mistake and should have been Sarah as the Mother but then I found this;

Burial;
SARAH Prior 10 Apr 1803 Daug of John/Elizabeth
She appears to be Bapt 17 May 1801 with those Parents.
They also Bapt a MARY Pryor* 24 Feb 1799/ SUSANNA Pryor 24 Jul 1796/ JOHN Prior 1 Dec 1793/ELIZABETH Prior 18 Apr 1791/THOMAS Prior 8 Dec 1788

John PRIOR married Elizabeth S*AR 18 Oct 1787

So the older John and Wife Elizabeth are very likely to still be having children early 1800's as the only married 1787.

So agree with you that William 1804 is not John/Sarahs.

All above on FreeREG

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has 7 John Priors (1 as Pryer) born 1779-1783 in Essex. It may be a process of eliminating them 1 by 1 to see if they died early/married there/died there later and or/appear in those places in the 1841/1851 Census.

I did notice a SUSANNA Prior Bapt 15 Apr 1804 Takely to a JOHN/SARAH
+ ELIZABETH Pryer 01 Jul 1810 + ELIZA Pryer 13 Sep 1812 same Parents

All on FreeREG

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the baptisms, don't know how I missed them! Makes a nice set. Looking at the names, maybe John's parents were James and Susanna, 3rd and 4th were named after Sarah's parents.

The baptism record for Susanna says they were of Morrell Green. This is aka Molehill Green near Takeley.

I had found quite a number of John's of right age on Freereg, but most seemed too far away. The other possibility is that he was illegitimate and baptised with his mother's surname and she later married a Mr Prior.

So far I've been through baptism registers for Broxted, Tilty, Chickney, Great Easton, Henham, Little Easton, Thaxted, Widdington, Ugley, Takeley, Lindsell and Debden between 1770 and 1785. The only ones which have any Prior (or variants) couples baptising children in that period are Widdington and Debden, in each case a single couple with a series of children at about two year intervals with no space for a missing child
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry that I cant be of more help but at least you now have extra children for John/Sarah :)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help, it gives me more children to track and maybe that will lead to their father's birthplace and parents.