Author Topic: Co. Tyrone LOOK UP REQUEST- Maj.Gen. William McCulloch and Frederick McCulloch  (Read 2528 times)

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The above 2 gentlemen spent most of their lives with the HEIC. They were both with the Bengal Army. The former died in London abt 1817 and the latter (who was an assistant surgeon) died in India abt 1796. I'm pretty sure they were brothers. According to Hodson, William was born in about 1753/4 in Co. Tyrone (probably either Strabane or Omagh) and if they were brothers, then I assume Frederick was also born about this time in the same place.

Could some kind soul with access to the parish records have a look for me and see if they can spot the two baptism records. Most grateful!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Co. Tyrone LOOK UP REQUEST- Maj.Gen. William McCulloch and Frederick McCulloch
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
I know...not what you asked about!

STRABANE MORNING POST   September 9 1834

Married the 2nd inst. by the Rev. W. G. Stack, WILLIAM FREDERICK McCULLOCH, ESQ., grandson of the late GENERAL McCULLOCH, of the Hon East India Company’s Service, to ELIZABETH, eldest daughter of SURGEON HAMILTON, of Omagh

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Co. Tyrone LOOK UP REQUEST- Maj.Gen. William McCulloch and Frederick McCulloch
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 21:28 BST (UK) »
hallmark

Thank you for your replies. Yes I have seen these. It is the same person. I've read William's will and he doesn't specifically refer to a brother called Frederick , but then if he died some 20 years before....

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
hallmark

Thank you for your replies. Yes I have seen these. It is the same person. I've read William's will and he doesn't specifically refer to a brother called Frederick , but then if he died some 20 years before....

That is no problem!

Is there any location mentioned for anyone in Ireland in the Will?

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hello hallmark

The will only mentions a place name when he refers to his brother in law John Orr of Strabane, but as I said above, Hodson seems to think William also came from Strabane.

I wonder how one finds out if the parish registers for this period even exist in either Strabane or Omagh (Catholic or Protestant etc.). Do you know?

Many thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Omagh RC  https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0365  start to late!

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
hallmark

Thanks for that link- but as you say unfortunately they start too late. Can I take it that any ideas I had about exploring parish registers of this period in these places is well and truly kicked into touch ie they simply do not exist?

Back to the drawing board methinks!

Thank you

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
I'd be more inclined to look on FamilySearch for Wills/Deeds/Marriage Agreements

Grantor index M 1730-1768 for example (see photo)  and then later ones!! 

Especially McCullogh to McCullogh  and McCullogh to Orr and Hamilton.