Author Topic: Peter Wood & Margaret Greig, Alexander Farquhar Greig or Wood, Gamrie  (Read 1751 times)

Offline doddawidd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Wood & Margaret Greig, Alexander Farquhar Greig or Wood, Gamrie
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all, George Wood from Fraserburgh.

Have done some researching on my tree, but have hit a little bit of a brick wall. Wondering if anyone can help.......

My great grandfather was born Alexander Farquhar Greig, in Gamrie in 1869. His mother is named on the birth as Margaret Greig, dressmaker, but his father is not named (illegitimate). In the census of 1871, he is living with his mother Margaret and grandmother Isabella Grieg, but his name had been changed to Alexander Farquhar Wood, (probably after his father). I've checked all the censuses after, and this information is absolutely correct. I've found his grave in Fraserburgh; he died in 1943.

I'm trying to trace his father, so have a bit of struggle, as no-one is named. But Alexander Farquhar Wood was married twice, in 1892 and in 1905. On both his marriage certs, his father is named as a Peter Wood, stone mason, but I have no information other than that.

Margaret Greig was born in Gamrie in 1829 and never married; she was 40 when she had Alexander. I did find a Peter Wood, born in Gamrie in May 1843. In 1861 census, he was living as a "ploughman" at Whitehills. I haven't found him yet for 1871, but in 1881 census, he was working as a "stone baller" at 29 Union Street, Grangemouth. His place of birth is stated there as Gamrie, and the age ties in. He is also listed as a widower, although I haven't found out any more than that.

This is the only Peter Wood I can find who lived in the area at the time, but can't be 100% sure if this is him or not, although I think it is. I was wondering if anyone has any information, or can point me in the direction of where to go next?

Much obliged and thanks for your time

George Wood

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Wood & Margaret Greig, Alexander Farquhar Greig or Wood, Gamrie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
It would be worth checking the minutes of the Gamrie kirk session as the case may have been brought before them. They can be consulted on computer at the Aberdeen Archives as well as in Edinburgh.

Offline doddawidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you

I've joined the Aberdeen and NE Scotland Family History Society so intend popping in there next week. They might have the Gamrie kirk sessions on file so I'll have a look

Thanks again

George

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
I've joined the Aberdeen and NE Scotland Family History Society so intend popping in there next week. They might have the Gamrie kirk sessions on file so I'll have a look
They don't.

To see the Gamrie (or any other) Kirk Session minutes you need to make an appointment to go to the Aberdeen City Archives in the Town House. They have access to the digitised versions of the kirk session records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline woodr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,
My name is Rachael Wood.
I have been researching my fathers side of the family tree and came across your post. It appears from your post that you may be cousins with my grandfather Patrick Aitken Wood.
I would love to hear more about who we are related through. How far into the 'newer' generations have you gotten?

Looking forward to your response.
Rachael Wood

Offline doddawidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi George,
My name is Rachael Wood.
I have been researching my fathers side of the family tree and came across your post. It appears from your post that you may be cousins with my grandfather Patrick Aitken Wood.
I would love to hear more about who we are related through. How far into the 'newer' generations have you gotten?

Looking forward to your response.
Rachael Wood

Hi Rachael

Apologies, but since that post last year, I haven't looked any further into it. I did join the ANESFHS in Aberdeen and went there for a day; on speaking to them, they advised me to concentrate on the female side first, as getting further on the Wood side would take a great deal of time. I decided that it was taking up a lot of time, so I parked it until I have the free time to get stuck into it. I intend to retire in the next 12 months, so this will be my winter project!.

I haven't come across a Patrick Aitken Wood in my searching but if you want you can send me an email at doddawidd@live.co.uk and I can see if it ties into my tree. I haven't really typed anything up yet, just scribbled notes and dates etc

If I can be of any help from this end, please let me know. It's very addictive this stuff and once you start it's very difficult to put down again

Cheers

George