Author Topic: Hannah Mae "May" WHITMARSH nee MORRIS (1886-1961) Humboldt SK  (Read 1959 times)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Mae "May" WHITMARSH nee MORRIS (1886-1961) Humboldt SK
« on: Wednesday 22 August 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Seeking obituary for subject lady who lived her married life in or nearby Humboldt, Saskatchewan.  If not available then obit for her husband Garfield Chauncey WHITMARSH (1884-1971).  Humboldt obits might appear in Saskatoon daily papers.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Mae "May" WHITMARSH nee MORRIS (1886-1961) Humboldt SK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 18 00:08 BST (UK) »

Humboldt  Public Library has newspapers but without a exact DOD it could be a very time consuming  search. No exact DOD on the headstones  either. ::) ::)

Only other solution would be to contact Saskatchewan Vital Statistics and that will cost you a few bucks. I believe they will do a  2 or 3  year search but it is  non refundable if they do not find a death

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
What information were you hoping to find in the obituaries ?

Lilybell - If it helps - Chauncey Garfield Whitmarsh - 17 September 1971 Humboldt Saskatchewan.

Notice a son Garnet Whitmarsh 1 June 1909 - 30 May 1986  passed away in Parksville, British Columbia.  Aged 76 years -  spouse - Catherine Therres.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLKW-31Z

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra I do have the year Hannah Mae and Chauncey died but no day and month of their deaths.

The library has obituaries for the Humboldt newspaper on Microfiche and a stick but it is too much for them to try and go through all their records to find a obit. Probably don't have enough staff.

I even checked with Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness for Saskatchewan but no one volunteering for that city.

??? ???
Lilybell

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra I do have the year Hannah Mae and Chauncey died but no day and month of their deaths.
 ??? ??
Lilybell

I gave you the date of death for Chauncey Garfield Whitmarsh - 17 September 1971 Humboldt Saskatchewan but nothing so far for Hannah.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »

Sandra sorry I did not have my glasses on and ran in quick while making breckfast and missed Chauncey's  dates..

May I ask where you found the  death for him. The Humboldt newspapers do not appear to be online.

Lilybell

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
Lilybell, I searched the Humboldt library site a few days ago and learned they have the Humboldt newspaper archive on microfilm and, like you, realized that searching a year’s worth of papers would be simplified by knowing the date of Hannah’s death.  I live a 5 hour drive away from Humboldt so doing the search myself would be more time-consuming and expensive than practical.  I plan to phone the cemetery, local undertakers and the library to see if the search can be simplified and made more economical.  Sandra, thanks for trying to help, I tracked down Hannah’s grandson (the one who signed his father’s death cert in BC) some years ago and still have his old e-mail address which might still work.  Finding Hannah’s parents identity is a brickwall I have been banging my head against for ten or fifteen years now and I have recently had dna tests done which lead to matches which might involve Hannah’s descendants, whom I had no great interest in until now.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
Not sure this would help you - There is an anc tree which shows Hannah parents as - Miles Edward Morris -  11 November 1849 - Caledon, Peel, Ontario, Canada passed away  3 September1928 -  Winnipeg Manitoba. Burial - Winnipegosis municipal cemetery, plot 331
Mother Mary Ellen Harris - 2 August 1850 - Kentucky - passed away  4 April 1926 - Humbold, Saskatchewan. Burial - 7 APR 1926 - Winnipegosis municipal cemetery, plot 331

Died at the farm home of her daughter Hannah Mae Morris Whitmarsh on Section 18-38-22 W2 near Humboldt Saskatchewa

Miles Edward Morris appears on Manitoba death Index -  3 Sept 1928 -    Winnipegosis, Manitoba.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
They show family under Marriott - 1900 census    Agnes, Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Merivn Marriot    48 Canada
Ellen Marriot   47  Kentucky
Marion Marriot   9 N Dakota
Welcome Marriot  8 N Dakota
Ethel Marriot 5   Minn
May Marriot 15  N Dakota
Hannah Marriott Mother 75 Canada widowed.

Sandra