Author Topic: Probate Registry Offices  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Registry Offices
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
I do know that the one in Holborn actually closed down and you had to use their website to do look ups and order from.

Was that one a main registry? I thought they may withdraw the search, but to close the office is weird! Where would people go to swear the oath? Or do they have to go to a solicitor to get the oath notarised and sealed to then mail to the English registry? Which is what we did, as it was cheaper than travelling from Scotland which would also have involved an overnight stay.

Boo

There local offices all over the country, you go to the one nearest to you to swear the oath. I went to one attached to the local Crown Court.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
The Holborn one still appears on the list
http://www.probateforms.info/probate-registries/

It may still be used as an actual probate office,but you can no longer peruse through the probate books and get a copy in minutes for 50p!

It was more than 50p when I last got one there  ;D    Those probate books were nearly as bulky as the gro index books, at least you did not have to lift them from the shelves  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
I used to just take a camera and photograph the entry in the book. :-)

I'll email the Newcastle office which is probably my nearest from here in Scotland and enquire. At least with an email, unlike a phone call,  there is no pressure for them to answer immediately.

Boo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 August 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
When applying for probate you have a choice of swearing the oath at a Probate Registry or at a local solicitors who is a Commissioner for Oaths.   A charge of between £5 and £15 is made by the solicitor. 

Given the closure of so many offices - it’s far more convenient.  I recently applied for probate and as the nearest Registry is some 60 miles away you can guess my option.

My probate application was posted to them but the docs for swearing the oath were emailed to me.  The solicitor didn’t charge me as he had messed up the appt time/date and I received the grant of probate a week after posting everything back.  In all,  the process took just under 4 weeks
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 August 18 12:28 BST (UK) »

Does anyone know if the same facilities still exist (and are being updated) in any of the Probate Registry offices? or is the only option now to search the website and fork out £10 to get that detail?

You were never able to see the actual Will at the Probate Office, you always had to order that and pay. What you see on the website now is the page from the index book, the same as you saw at the Holborn Register Office referred to in this thread. From that you can order a copy of the Will, and pay appropriately!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 August 18 12:48 BST (UK) »

Does anyone know if the same facilities still exist (and are being updated) in any of the Probate Registry offices? or is the only option now to search the website and fork out £10 to get that detail?

You were never able to see the actual Will at the Probate Office, you always had to order that and pay. What you see on the website now is the page from the index book, the same as you saw at the Holborn Register Office referred to in this thread. From that you can order a copy of the Will, and pay appropriately!

I know I can't see the will at the Probate Office, but as recent as 2014 I 'was' able to use the pcs in the reception area of Newcastle Probate Registry, (which were there for exactly that purpose for use by the public).
I have also used (in about 2012) the same facility in the Probate Office in Liverpool. That is the extent of my experience, no idea if other Probate Offices supplied the same facility.

I searched for the name and year of 2012 and the screen showed me the following detail:
Probate Number
Surname of Deceased
Forename of Deceased
Date of Death
Probate Office Name
Date of Issue of Grant
Address of Deceased
Groos Estate Value
Net Estate Value
Type (Probate or Admin)
Extracted by
Grantees: Full name and address of Executor  who applied for Probate

Which is the sort of detail we get in the old printed volumes. I took (with permission) a photo of the screen. Cost to me was about 5 mins of my time, though I should add in travelling time to get there
:-)

Its 'that' facility I was asking about. The current online index for the same entry only shows  Name, date of Probate, Probate Number, date of death, Document Type and Registry. Which prompted my original query.
The extra info is extremely helpful if I don't know exactly where and when someone with a fairly common name died, and the Registry used for Probate could have been hundreds of miles away from where the deceased person had been living and died. The name of the executor can also help to confirm its the right record.

To see the info detail that used to be available on site at the Probate Office would cost £10 and if I am going to spend out a tenner I would like to be as sure as I can be that I am going to get the right record.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
I now have a reply to my email from the Probate Registry in Newcastle - which would be my first choice to visit as I can also go to the archives if /when I do go.

They 'do' still have this facility in the reception area.
Both the old printed calendar books and the pc screens where you can search for more recent probate entries are still available and can be used by the public during opening hours and will give the detailed info such as name and address of both the deceased and the grantee.

Boo

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 August 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
You can ask HMCTS to confirm the names of the executors before making an online application, to confirm you have the crrect entry in the scenario of common names.

You can also swear the oath online

https://insidehmcts.blog.gov.uk/2017/07/04/new-digital-probate-service/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea