Author Topic: Large Bakery Business, Gateshead 1930s/40s/50s ?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Large Bakery Business, Gateshead 1930s/40s/50s ?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

No I hadn't seen that about the free weekend, that is excellent news. It looks like my plans for Saturday and Sunday may have just changed.

I've found the article, saved it as a picture then done a little jiggery pokery on the computer. It looks like RTL is going to be your best bet, there just isn't really anything there on the scan to see or enhance.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying Michael.

I'll wait till RTL can fit it in - well if she ever finds her way home that is. Sounds like she's not having the best of days.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 September 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Right I will look it up at the library when these shifts are finished.  It was very kind of Michael to try.  Got home eventually not long after last post this morning.  I had rang the bell but I think the driver was in a world of his own. ;D  Occasionally happens, never mind.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 September 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Right I will look it up at the library when these shifts are finished.  It was very kind of Michael to try.  Got home eventually not long after last post this morning.  I had rang the bell but I think the driver was in a world of his own. ;D  Occasionally happens, never mind.

Oh pleased you got home ok, I was just wondering if you'd made it!
Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 September 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, that one microfilm for the Journal is missing at the library and they have no hard copy.

However, I have been able to find a death notice in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle - Friday, 24 April 1953.

This is also very bad in print but I think this is what is written:

HENDERSON "Holmeside" (?) (Lane?) (North?) Low Fell in Gibraltar April 22 aged (?) James Andrew dearly beloved husband of the late Sarah Henderson.'

There was no memoriam for the following year.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 September 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks RTL.

Shame the Journal microfilm is missing, but these things happen.

What you were able to make out from the death announcement does help, it confirms that its the right man.

Thanks again

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 September 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
These people may not be relevant but just in case - in the Wards Directory 1939:

'Henderson, James A. director, 265 Durham rd. (T.72082)'. (He is also at this address in 1937 directory)

'Henderson, John, shopkeeper, 15 Upton st.'

'Henderson, Margaret A. Miss, 383 Durham rd (Low Fell 76543)'

Added: You are welcome Boo - glad to have been of help.  It can be so frustrating when the one microfilm that is required is the one that is not there.  But as you say, it happens. :-\

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 September 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks again

Yes the James A Henderson is the man who died in Gibraltar.

Not sure about the other two, but I'll check them against what I know and the 1939 register to see if there is a link. Henderson was a common name, but I've saved the info for future reference.

Boo

Offline Lazydaisy206

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 November 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
This business was set up by my Great Grandfather  (James Henderson)- my mother is still alive and remembers him and my Grandfather (William Hall) making a very successful business. Although a little confused at times her memory concerning things /events from many years ago is not too bad. If I can help your research by asking her questions then please let me know