Author Topic: Large Bakery Business, Gateshead 1930s/40s/50s ?  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Large Bakery Business, Gateshead 1930s/40s/50s ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 September 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
Update:

Today I got a copy of John Henderson Snr's will and inventory (huzzah for Scottish Confirmations, they give details of the estate) He died in 1926 back on Shetland.

Will was the usual short n sweet, wife gets everything (she did survive him) and the Inventory, amongst stuff like what was in the bank etc., also listed assets held in England
Shares of Companies:
220 shares in Henderson & Sons Ltd., Oak Street, Gateshead (valued at 15/- a share)

That matches with the 1918 Wards Directory Entry for Henderson & Son and indicates that, as I suspected, when John Snr and his wife returned to Shetland, his sons took over the running of the business but their Dad retained shares (and possibly a small income from those) as he and his wife had started the business.

Another baby step forward :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 September 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you have taken another step forward Boo.   :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 September 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL, I am slow but I usually get there in the end:-)

Am currently frustrated with the online access to newspapers. I notice that BNA (which I access via FindMyPast) say:
"As well as the original paper scanning, we have scanned a significant amount from existing microfilm, created by the British Library over the years."

Well it 'may' be quicker but its utterly unreadable! They were obviously off the day that quality control was discussed.

I found a report of James Andrew Henderson's death , in Gibraltar. Newcastle Journal, 24 April 1953. Even when I squint and turn my head at an angle its not designed to sit at, I can't make out the last couple of lines  (or ,indeed, if the company name was Henderson or Hendee)

Then I believe there may have been a death notice in the Evening Chronicle on the same date but its so dire I can't make any of it out!

They want thumping! They charge an arm and a leg for this stuff!

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Oh that is a shame you can't make the report and notice out on-line.  :-\

I am just heading home after nightshift - I am now on a run of them but if you like I can find out what is written at the Newcastle library once these shifts are over. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
Oh that is a shame you can't make the report and notice out on-line.  :-\

I am just heading home after nightshift - I am now on a run of them but if you like I can find out what is written at the Newcastle library once these shifts are over.

That's very good of you, though I suspect the microfilm wont be any better.
Whenever you have time, there is no rush at all and it sounds like life is very busy for you. It just really annoys me that I pay for this stuff and its unreadable.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Well, you are always helping others so it is nice to be able to do you a good turn too .. :)

It could turn out that it might be a badly printed newspaper.  That turned out to be the case once when I went to look up a death notice for someone and the print was abysmal.  However, at least I will be able to let you know if that is the case.  Hopefully, it will actually be readable at the library.  I will be back on this thread soon to let you know, hopefully, what is written.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Morning all,

I've got a week or so left on a monthly subscription to the BNA, I suspect it will be exactly the same as you are seeing but I'll have a look and see if there's any difference there.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael, though I understand that FindMyPast just gives you access to the BNA, so as you say its likely to be the same image. If you can make the death notice out I will be utterly in awe of you!
The report in the Journal was on page 2, headed Tynesider dies in Gibraltar.

As an aside, did you notice that FindMyPast are having a free weekend from today to the 10th? You can do a LOT in a couple of days :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
Well, that will be great if Michael can get you the article sooner rather than later but if not I will have a stab at it at the library.

Bus driver has just taken me right passed my stop.  Having another stab at trying to get home now - just what I need after my nightshift.