Author Topic: Florence May Bartlett  (Read 853 times)

Offline tezle61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Florence May Bartlett
« on: Wednesday 22 August 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I am trying to find out more information regarding my nan Florence May Bartlett 1891-1937.
Her father was Oliver Walter Bartlett 1866-1920.
I have been told hardly anything about my nan probably because she died in Barming Mental Asylum, Maidstone Kent from General Paralysis of the Insane.
My nan was born on the isle of Wight and since doing my family tree I have discovered a lot of her family albeit mainly dead.
My ultimate goal is to find a photo of her and some more in depth insight to her growing up before she met my grandad Edward Charles Terry 1885-1953.

Any information would be gratefully received.
John

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence May Bartlett
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
I can see a copy of her birth certificate online and her mother was

Edith Mary Pocock

Have you seen Florence on a census with her parents? 

In 1901 she has sisters Ethel 8 and Alice 3

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline tezle61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Millipede,
Thanks for the reply,
The birth certificate is probably what I put on.
It sounds strange but I know quite a bit of documented information about her but I am trying to find younger descendants or someone who knew the family to try and get some insight on how they lived, how they functioned as a family and most of all a picture,
Even my father or his only sister never had a photo of her and my dad was quite young when she died.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry I must be missing something here!

If she is your gran, your father's mum, then surely you plus any siblings you may have, plus any cousins if your dad had siblings (ah just seen you say he had one sister), ARE the younger descendents?

Who exactly are you looking for? Are you looking for any nieces and nephews she may have had - if so tell us how far you have got looking eg do you know what siblings she had, if they married, if they had children etc, so we dont duplicate.

As for info about when she was growing up -we are reliant on any survivng documents marking any particular events in her life - eg her birth, appearacnes on censuses, her marriage cert, birth of children etc. Looking at the family as a whole, there are births and baptisms of siblings, death , and maybe Wills, of her parents that can add flesh to the bones of her story. Again, tell us what you already have, so we dont duplicate.

If she died in 1937, for anyone to still be alive who actually knew her, they would have been quite young when they knew her and very old now. If you have ruled out her own descendents, then maybe it is any cousins you are hoping for?

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 22:13 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

The NA have this page,

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=2478&page=77

which seems to show that the Centre for Kentish Studies has records for the Asylum,

https://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/kent-archives

Searching their Guide to Collections mentions Barming, Hospitals, Mental health, and Patient records.

https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/collections/guide-to-collections/

I'm sorry to say that I've not used this site before and I'm not finding it the easiest to search, maybe give them a quick call or email and they would be able to tell you if they have any of Florence's records. I mention this because I have seen cases where records include a photo of the patient, they can be quite sad pictures as the person can be quite ill at the time.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)