Author Topic: LDS Account  (Read 3187 times)

Offline MosesKinne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LDS Account
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Is someone here a member of LDS church? I need someone’s account for a quick research in Poland . With an LDS Account and membership you can get free access to churchbooks and I really need the access , it would be great and much appreciated if someone could help me and I could ‚borrow‘ your account for one day .  ??? :-\

You can send me a private message

regards

Moses

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: LDS Account
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 04:21 BST (UK) »
I think you're asking a bit much for someone's personal details although requesting a look-up would be acceptable.

If you edit your heading to ask for a look-up then post the details you're researching, I'm sure someone who has access would oblige although may not find what you're looking for?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 18 05:08 BST (UK) »
I thought every one was the same as far as researching. Some items will only be at the available in the main Genealogical Library in Salt Lake City but the Library is open to all. I has always been like that and not everything available in Salt Lake has been filmed thus making a visit necessary. One thing has happened during the last few months is the the library no longer mails requests of films  to branch libraries within the LDS system. .   

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Is someone here a member of LDS church? I need someone’s account for a quick research in Poland . With an LDS Account and membership you can get free access to churchbooks and I really need the access , it would be great and much appreciated if someone could help me and I could ‚borrow‘ your account for one day .  ??? :-\

I'm not sure even an "LDS" member can view the digital images of films on familysearch if it says they're only viewable atn a LDS library.
There are 2 ways for anybody to view the images on a film
1. At home through an account, and
2. At an LDS library.

Everyone can open a account - it is free and easy. Have you done this and checked whether you can see the images at home?
Otherwise, if it says only at an LDS library, you will have to go to one (not have to go Salt Lake city necessarily!).

I think actual members of church have to do the same thing - but I am open to being proved wrong!
As barry says, not all have been digitised from film yet - but getting there!
Familysearch has said all films will be digitised by 2020, and I went to a seminar the other day where the Vice President of Business Development said they are ahead of that target.

As Rosinish says, I think asking for somebody else's access is not really acceptable.
But there are people who would be willing to do a look up - unless it's trawling through a whole film!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline MosesKinne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I see what you mean and i know asking for someone access is not acceptable but If someone would look it up for me it would be too much because I’m looking for more than one ancestor in the small village of Grodziczno Poland but if someone would help for one ancestor it would be very nice. I thought someone who is a member of the LDS could look up the images which are sealed with a key and a camera , I have a LDS account but I’m not a member

I apologize for this

regards

Moses

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:24 BST (UK) »

the images which are sealed with a key and a camera 

I think this will mean you have to go into an LDS library to view them.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
All I get for Grodziczno in the LDS catalogue is
Roman Catholic parish register of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Grodziczno, Westpreußen, Germany; now Grodziczno (Nowe Miasto Lubawskie), Olsztyn, Poland.
Text in Latin, Polish and German.

Five films, three viewable at home, one which can be seen at an LDS FHC, and one with a digital film number but no camera icon.
It's odd that one of the films is locked.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 August 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Might be this one-
https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/008021939?cat=301091

One of the options is viewing at an LDS library so really no need to ask someone to breach the terms of their LDS membership.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 18 01:02 BST (UK) »
I recall yrs ago, someone I knew was a baptised 'Mormon' who told me she had access to various things (on-line) on LDS which others couldn't acces as she was 'a member of their church' which is different from being a member of their site.

I can't confirm whether I understood her info. correctly regarding this now as she has sadly since passed away.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"