Author Topic: Isabella Liddel Muirhead  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Liddel Muirhead
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 August 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
1911 (SP Index) all surname Neil

490/ 6/ 7 Stirling (RD), Stirling (County)

Robert B 51
Annie 44
Isabel M 20
Bessie B 16

Lanarman,

Not sure if you're interested in others but if so, a possible marriage for Walter?

MUIRHEAD WALTER & CONNELL MARGARET JANE A 1908
567/2 1 Gourock (Renfrew)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 August 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
Possible deaths?

MUIRHEAD WALTER 44
701/ 15 WEST CALDER

MUIRHEAD MARGARET J A 83
513/ 9 Inveraray (Argyll)

Matching ref. for m/s Connell

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 August 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
England Andrews Newspapers index

Muirhead ...On the 6 December 1943 at Stirling James Muirhead sometime with Messrs.Graham and Co .and latterly of Messrs.Ziffo and Co Calcutta.Brother of Mrs Neil ..Darnley House
Victoria Place Stirling ..Funeral private no flowers

Rosie

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 August 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
My interest was piqued as I have Muirheads in my family. I then got excited at the mention of Mt Gambier

My GGG-Grandmother is a Muirhead and lived in Mt Gambier after marrying Charles Blacksell. The Umpherston mentioned left a will and it seems possible Isabell may have recived a bequest.

Trove has a notice , search under ''Umpherston Probate' from 1900 shows a mention of ' nieces and nephews in Scotland. There is also Jane Muirhead and Margaret McLean ( who I believe to be sisters) alongside a W. McFeat

Hope you solve this and has been interesting reading.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
DC for James Muirhead: Died Dec. 6, 1943, age 78. Single. Retired Freight Broker. Place of death: Golden Lion Hotel, Stirling. Informant- I. M. Neil, niece, residing at 12a Victoria Place, Stirling.

Best Match on SP for Annie Jane Neill: Died Stirling 1955 age 88.
Best Match on SP for Robert Brown Neill: Died Stirling 1940 age 80.

It appears that the only grandchildren of Isabella Liddel McFeat-Muirhead were Neil children. I will investigate that later.

Looks like the family of Annie Jane Neil did not marry
Possible Elizabeth Brown Neil born 1894 Dennistoun
Death Elizabeth Brown Neil 1974 Stirling age 80  mother's maiden name Muirhead

Isabel Muirhead Neil born 1890 Dennistoun
Death Isabel Muirhead Neil 1966 Morningside Midlothian age 76

Rosie

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 August 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Interesting. And now DavidG02's comments have added another dimension to this search. So Isabella Liddel McFeat-Muirhead's line seems to have ended with no descendants.

David G02 has mentioned the 1900 Probate in Australia for a James Umpherston who was Isabella's Uncle. Walter McFeat (MacFeat) was Isabella's brother born June 24, 1844 in Tollcross, Glasgow. I believe from SP that he died in 1928 in Cathcart, Glasgow. I therefore assume that he was the "W. McFeat" mentioned in the 1900 Australian probate record (nephew). The Jane Muirhead mentioned puzzles me as the only Jane is Annie Jane Muirhead, a grand niece. But that is possible.

Isabella and Walter McFeat also had siblings Ann Jackson McFeat born Aug. 14, 1839 in Tollcross and James McFeat born May 13, 1846 in Tollcross.  New avenues to pursue.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 August 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Correction to my comment above: Isabella Liddel McFeat-Muirhead's line MAY have continued through her son Walter Muirhead who was possibly married to Margaret Connell. Needs to be explored.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 August 18 13:23 BST (UK) »

There is quite a bit of reading on the probate record if you have access to Ancestry ..Have never found Walter on any census records so far ..Maybe you should view the marriage on Scotlands People to see if it is him ?

Rosie

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
PARIS MYSTERY. BODY OF- LIVERPOOL MAN FOUND IN RIVER SEINE. PARIS. September 23rd. 1909.
It will be remembered that the body of an Englishman, clothed in evening dress, was taken from the River Seine about a fortnight ago. The identity of the body has just been established. It is declared to be that of a retired Liverpool shipowner,- named Walter Muirhead, who was born in Australia. His address in Liverpool is given ' as 1 Drundley (?) avenue and his age as 40.

SOURCE- TROVE Newspaper, Australia (online).

Walter Muirhead born Nov. 4, 1868 in Mt. Gambier, Australia. Emigrated back to Scotland with his Mother and siblings in 1871. Appears in Gorbals, Lanarkshire in 1881 census with Mother and sister/brother. Not found in Scotland in 1891 census or thereafter. I also cannot find a Drundley Ave. in Liverpool. No such name. Perhaps Burnley???

Age is correct and birthplace. ???