Author Topic: Census details  (Read 651 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
Census details
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all, so just a question about the censuses. So I am currently looking through my family starting at the 1841 census.
I see the John Foulds Household in 1841 is listed at living at Forest Lane, Oxton, Nottinghamshire.

However the census name for John Foulds Household in 1851 doesn't seem to list an address on their page - only that they are in Oxton, Nottinghamshire.  Same for 1861.  Then in 1871 it shows them at Forest Lane, Oxton, Nottinghamshire again.

Now I assume that they were still at Forest Lane in Oxton between that - but did the 1851/1861 censuses not list the road location?  Or would they have been on a previous page?

I wondered also about the abode - no house number or name - just "Forest Lane" - did they also not record  house numbers in those early years?

Thanks to the knowloegable people in advance!

MJ

Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census details
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Many areas, especially rural and small towns, did not see the need for addresses until later in the Victorian era! ;D

After all, everybody knew everybody - what was the point of an address?

Sometimes you have to look at a previous page (or pages) to find a street name.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

guest189040

Re: Census details
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
It can get far worst.

Looking on a census return for scattered properties in the countryside is problematic if you are wanting to precisely identify the location of a dwelling.

Often the Enumerators simply made notes and filled in their forms later with the result that if houses A, B, C, D and E which are actually one after the other allthough seperated by distance then on a census return the houses and hence occupants could be listed in the order C, A, D, B, E.

We found just this whilst looking in person for properties in the Herefordshire countryside where we found the Pub but the houses of the period near it bore no resemblence to the census return.