Author Topic: 1861 census Newcastle. John Pratt  (Read 505 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1861 census Newcastle. John Pratt
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been trying to locate John Pratt on the family search website without success. Wondered if anyone else can find him?
He was born abt 1800 in Bedfordshire (poss Begleswood sic. According to 1871 census)
Married Jane Edmondson in Crossthwaite Cumberland in 1824. Had 2 children Isaac in 1824 and James in 1826. Moved to Beverley in abt 1826 and had daughter Eliza in 1828. Moved to Whickham in abt 1832 where he had a daughter Mary Ann. By 1841 he is living in Blenheim St, Westgate, Newcastle with his sister in law Ann Edmondson. In 1858 he is mentioned on his daughters marriage certificate in Newcastle. He then vanishes to reappear in 1871 living with his daughter and son in law in Peasley Cross, Sutton (St. Helens, Lancs). He died in 1871.
I tried searching for him with his male children in 1861 and curiously I can't find them either (Isaac and James). In 1851 Isaac is living in Blenheim St Newcastle & James in Churchill St Westgate Newcastle with wife Barbara. In 1871 Isaac is living with his brother James Pratt in Camberwell Surrey together with James’ wife Barbara 43yrs, daughter Margaret J. Pratt 20yrs b. Newcastle; Eliza Pratt 15 yrs b London, Barbara Pratt 13 yrs b Southwark London. (Have found Eliza with husband Thomas Lindsay in 1861 living at 32 Myrtle Terrace, Newcastle....John not living with her...other child, Mary Ann, died before 1841).
If someone could have a look as I'm obviously missing something
Many thanks
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census Newcastle. John Pratt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
I tried searching for him with his male children in 1861 and curiously I can't find them either (Isaac and James).

In 1861 Isaac is living with James and Barbara in Southwark. RG 9 / 330 / 76 / 26
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that....still can’t manage to find James, Barbara & Isaac Pratt on Family Search but at least I know they are there. I don’t suppose you came across John Pratt?
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that....still can’t manage to find James, Barbara & Isaac Pratt on Family Search but at least I know they are there.

That's because they are transcribed as Bratt! https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2MG-94DH

I don’t suppose you came across John Pratt?

No, can't see him yet. There are various missing pieces in the 1861 census, so if he was living in one of those he's lost without trace, I'm afraid.

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Ah, Bratt..that explains it....thank you for solving that one for me.
I didn’t know there were bits of the 1861 census missing...as you said, that might explain it

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
I didn’t know there were bits of the 1861 census missing...as you said, that might explain it

Scroll down for missing pieces of the 1861. He might have been living in one of those  :-\
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces