Author Topic: help finding bith parents  (Read 1815 times)

Offline joliz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
help finding bith parents
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,I am trying to find the birth parents for montie reginal arther swift , he was born 7 march 1899 in south end on sea , on the 1901 census i found that he was living with adoptive parents herbert & mary james in prittlewell ,essex, but on the 1911 cenus aged 12 he was an inmate at the essex industrial school and home for destitute boys ,
many thanks
jo

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help finding bith parents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
GRO ref

Montie Reginald Arthur Swift Jun 1899 Rochford 4a 628 mmn Reid

The birth certificate will give the names of the parents.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
General Register Office has:
Birth Jun qtr 1899 Rochford vol 4a p628 SWIFT Montie Reginald Arthur, mmn REID

I haven't found an obvious SWIFT-REID marriage yet, but a fuzzy search on FreeBMD brings up:
Jun qtr 1887 Lewisham vol 1d p1421 on same page SWIFT Willie Hackford, READ Ellen Sophia
Mar qtr 1892 Leicester vol 7a p256 on same page SWIFT William, REID Alice
Sep qtr 1896 West Bromwich vol 6b p1341 on same page SWIFT Arthur, REID Mary Catherine
Sep qtr 1897 Camberwell vol1d p1691 on same page SWIFT George Edward, READ Rose Alice
Mar qtr 1892 Medway, Kent vol 2a p728 on same page SWIFT William, READ Thurza Lavinia

So one of these couples might be yours.  It would be worth checking them on the 1901 Census to see what they were doing and where they were living (and if they had any children born in late 1898 or 1899 which would ruke them out as Montie's parents.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on familysearch.org that has his parents as Mary Catherine Reid and Arthur Edmund James Swift which matches with one of the marriage registrations found by philipsearching
Need to research this as no sources given but as has already been said the birth certificate will give the parent's names

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
The tree on familysearch.org has the death of Montie's father 11 June 1900 but no death for his mother

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on familysearch.org that has his parents as Mary Catherine Reid and Arthur Edmund James Smith which matches with one of the marriage registrations found by philipsearching
Need to research this as no sources given but as has already been said the birth certificate will give the parent's names

The tree on familysearch.org has the death of Montie's father 11 June 1900 but no death for his mother

Death Jun qtr 1900 Rochford vol 4a p322 SWIFT Arthur Edmund J age 30

Philip

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
I would be wary of the Arthur Edmund James swift being the father as he seems to have married in the reg dist Burton which is Derbyshire/Staffordshire 1894 to either a Florence Rice or a Gertrude Peace. Of course his first wife may have died and he remarried but why not use his full names at his second marriage.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
I would be wary of the Arthur Edmund James swift being the father as he seems to have married in 1894 to either a Florence Rice or a Gertrude Peace. Of course his first wife may have died and he remarried but why not use his full names at his second marriage.

Maybe he did a bunk!  Married Mary Catherine Reid in West Bromwich and legged it down to the Thames Estuary?

I think it's best to get either the birth cert or a baptism record to confirm the parents' names (otherwise I'll descend from theorising into wild guesswork which would not be good).

Philip

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
Marriage
Mary Catherine Swift to either Charles Richard Egmore or Herbert Digby James March 1/4 1901 Rochford Essex.

I think it's best to get either the birth cert or a baptism record to confirm the parents' names (otherwise I'll descend from theorising into wild guesswork which would not be good).
Philip

:D Agreed