Author Topic: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??  (Read 7232 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??
« on: Friday 24 August 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hello all! I am at my wit's end trying to determine the parents of this particular George Errington; I have posted my query on this board because various snippets on line indicate THIS George Errington was born at "Hurst Castle, Mitford on Sea, Northumberland." Some sites further give an approximate birth date of 1555; his death date is certain as he was executed on orders of Queen Elizabeth I on 29 November 1596 at York. He was executed with  three other men who were also Catholic. Some other information I have gleaned is that Wiki sites also aver that he was of "a minor gentry family of Bingfield, St. John Lee parish, Northumberland." Since his birth place is apparently at Hurst Castle, I am thinking that he might be connected somehow to the armiger Erringtons of both West Denton and/or Ponteland, Northumberland.  Does any one have any ideas as to the parents of this George Errington may be? ANY ideas will be most welcomed. Thanks in advance! patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 18 06:27 BST (UK) »
The Hurst Castle referred to is at Milford on Sea in Hampshire, not Nothumberland, and is a coastal defence fort of the time of Henry VIII.
The Wikipedia entry for George Errington (q.v.) does say that he was "from the minor gentry branch of Bingfield, St John Lee, Northumberland" but I can find no information on the connection.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/search?query="george%20errington"

#3 - "Queen Elizabeth - 181: August 1585" - unfortunately requires subscription to view
#10 - "Cecil Papers: June 1600, 21-30" - can be viewed

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hello MaecW and hanes teulu. The additional information on a second Hurst Castle is shocking; I understand there was/is a different structure in Northumberland called Hurst Castle, altho all accounts seem to indicate that it was hardly what one would call a castle; rather some sort of modified tower or such. A any rate, this new location might mean his family were in the military. Maecw, thank you for the link to the British papers; in the reference cited, I could not find any information about George's parents, altho I appreciate all leads at this point. Thank you both! Sincerely, patrexjax
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hello all. Firstly, my apologies. I seem to have found another so-called "Hirst Castle" (note spelling variation from the first one cited earlier in this posting!)  THIS particular Hirst Castle is/was apparently located in the Ashington area.   One detailed description is from the website called "Gatehouse gazeteer "  which I can't seem to post a link to.....   :'(  Yes, I am computer challenged. The Gatehouse website does indicate this was a Pele Tower which no longer exists and was built by the Third Lord Ogle, Ralph, and a manor house adjacent to it was thought to have been built by a Thomas Errington......This is the first detailed description I have found for this "Castle" and the variant spelling may be significant. ANY and ALL thoughts are welcomed!!!  Sincerely, patrexjax   

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
It just says the executed George Errington was born Herst in Northumberland.
p.181
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HQNeAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA181&lpg=PA181&dq=death+warrant+%22George+Errington%22&source=bl&ots=LsJETL6YGI&sig=Dcrwev4dSfV2F-DyEvDpn3kOwOg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiyjJn-sYbdAhVIjqQKHVrnBn0Q6AEwEHoECAQQAQ

----------

Extract Foley (Records, vol. V, p.740) quotes a communication received from Lord Arundell, in which he attempts to present a pedigree of the Erringtons, but fails to show the connections of Ven. George Errington, merely stating that he “may fairly be treated as presumably a younger branch of the Erringtons of Errington.” The pedigree, as given, is not quite correct, and concerns mainly the Erringtons of Walwick Grange, with whom George Errington could only have been remotely connected.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-catholic-history/article/the-venerable-george-errington/1814EDAA0060B93FEBA8D622EC4DF941

"There was no apparent relationship between the Erringtons of Denton and the Erringtons of Hirst, but doubtless they claimed “cousinship.” "

Mark

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello BushInn1746 and thanks so very much for the additional information AND the links! patrexjax

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
I presume you have seen the submitted entry on F/S.Org for George?

Brother GILBERT born c 1550 Errington and Beaufront, Northumberland
He died 1585  St Clement Eastcheap, London

Their Parents as JOHN Errington and unnamed BRANDLING

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 August 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello trish1120! Actually, I had NOT seen that entry!!!!!!    ;D    THANK You so very much. Sincerely, patrexjax