Author Topic: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
Morning Patrexjax, I happened to read a previous post and you had a Jane Ridley married to Gillbert Errington with a son John.  Here is a link https://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/768897 to a tree on geni.com of the above.  I assume the information about the Ridley's has been sourec ed predominately form "History of the ancient Ryedales, and their descendants in Normandy, Great Britain, Ireland, and America, from 860 to 1884".  My interest is in the Ridley's in NBL - there  remained a connection between the Errington and Ridley families down the line, I have Ridley ancestors working at Errington Hall in St John Lee parish.

Regards

Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Catherine! Yes, quite a bit of the sourcing was from your citation. In addition, my Nephew also looked at some pedigrees of the Errington family of the Denton area.  Thank you so much for the Geni link; I do not have some of the people listed, so I am most appreciative of that. Sincrely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrexjax, if it was of any help, then you are most welcome.

Regards
Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax & Catherine

I'll try to reply to you both - Catherine first as shorter!
Catherine
I have a Ridley connection to the Errington's i.e. marriage of Gilbert Errington to Jane Ridley (daughter of Nicholas) c1520 with 4 children but no exact dates for marriage or birth/baptisms -  see   https://archive.org/details/historyofnorthum04nort/page/188
patrexjax
i) John Widdrington - although I have 2 in my tree neither seem to be the the one mentioned.
ii) John Errington married to Dorothy Widdrington I do have. I knew Dorothy was daughter of Edward but not name of mother. John is the son of Gilbert and his first wife Dorothy Carnaby. My line descends through Gilbert and his 2nd wife Grace Rutherford. Children of Gilbert & Dorothy I have 5 children John, Thomas, Nicholas, Mary & Jane - but no dates of baptisms etc. Children of Gilbert & Grace - I have 6, all boys, Richard, Michael, Lancelot, Ralph, Gawen & William but again no dates of baptisms etc although believe they were all between 1597-1605.
If there are exact dates for any of Gilbert's 11 children for Gilbert himself or either of his wives would be brilliant - if not too much to ask - would be brilliant

I am away from early tomorrow (Thursday) to late Monday evening so if you are able to reply to me then I may not get the chance to respond

Family history can be very frustrating but finding new connections certainly makes up for it!

Best wishes to you Both
Judith - England

Burrell                         Mitchell            
Armstrong                    Adamson
Holmes                        Anderson
Fleming                        Rudd                  Boustead                      Picken
Huddleston                   Gathin Peele                            Foxall
Whinfield                      Lumley
Lindsley                       Shakelock

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hello judith54!I am still digging into the various Erringtons I have. I was able to find a few snippets for you on your Gilbert Errington who married Dorothy Carnaby. It looks as tho your Gilbert (1534-1585) who had children by Dorothy Carnaby had a Nicholas b abt. 1559. Dates for the others are still a mystery. Insofar as your direct line which has Gilbert and his second wife has some approximate birth years which,on the surface, look helpful...Michael c. 1593; Richard c. 1595; Lancelot c. 1596; Ralph c. 1600; Gawen c 1603 and William c 1605. Sadly, I could not pinpoint location. In finding an Errington and Widdrington marriage, I seem to have also found two more instances of that happening: There is a Gilbert Errington, Knight, who married 6 Oct 1612 in Ryton, Durham Margaret Tempest. They had a son, Nicholas ch 25 Feb 1616 in Ponteland who married a Margaret Widdrington d of Roger Widdrington and Mary Radclyffe. Also, I think Gilbert and Margaret's daughter, Isabella who was chr 6 Jul 1618 in Ponteland married a Henry Widdrington. whose parentage has, thus far, escaped me.....here is a website on old rootsweb called "Fletcher of Cockermouth Hall, Cumberland, England" which details many people we are searching.....Have you seenit? Sorry I don't have more details for you, but I am still trying to find a link....... I THINK everyone seems to agree that "our" James Errington married a Dorothy Widdrington and James' Father was a Gilbert Errington, BUT which one? As we have learned, there are many Gilbert Erringtons in this time frame in the NBL area. Please let me hear back from you when you are able. Thanks! patrexjax
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 May 19 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hirst Castle

Hodgson-Hinde does not mention any further evidence of the ownership of the estate until 1628 when William Errington of Hirst is listed as a freeholder of the county and again in 1663. Whether the transfer of ownership is by inheritance in the female line, or by sale is not stated. By 1854 the Duke of Portland was the landholder. He was a descendant of the Ogles.

The Errington family must have come into possession of Hirst castle at some before 1596. On the 29th of November of this year George Errington of Hirst was executed at York. He was convicted of treason and died by being hanged, drawn and quartered. He was considered to be part of the Uprising of the North taking place at the time. But specifically for having tried to convert a protestant priest to Catholicism. He was later honoured as a martyr by the Roman Catholic church. George Errington was originally from the minor gentry branch of Erringtons of Bingfield, St John Lee in Northumberland.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 May 19 05:54 BST (UK) »
patrexjax

ii) John Errington married to Dorothy Widdrington I do have. I knew Dorothy was daughter of Edward but not name of mother. 
Judith - England

The Peerage of England vol 2, author Arthur Collins, published 1714
Page 93
"Edward Widdrington, brother and heir to Sir Henry Widdrington, married Ursula, daughter of Sir Reginald Carnaby, Knight, who had issue Sir Henry Widdrington, Ralph second son, and Roger, third son, of Cartington. in the County of Cumberland, father of Edward Widdrington, created a Baronet of Scotland, and after England, 16 CarI Anno 1642, which is now extinct; the daughters of Edward Widdrington, of Widdrington were first Agnes; second Dorothy married to Sir John Everingham(sic); and Catherine to Cuthbert Mallory, Esq."

Googling Edward Widdrington and Ursula Carnaby returned a number of "hits"

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 24 May 19 06:10 BST (UK) »
As we have learned, there are many Gilbert Erringtons in this time frame in the NBL area.

The peerage of Ireland, John Lodge, published 1789 (page 230) mentions the marriage of a Gilbert Errington to a Dorothy.

A searchable version of this publication is available on line at google books

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 May 19 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hello barryd and hanes teulu! Thanks so much for your input on this query. Thanks for the hints, tips and facts! Much appreciated.  sincerely, patrexjax