Author Topic: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??  (Read 7159 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 August 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine and all who are following this thread.....This latest information that these Erringtons were from Beaufront has broken down this brick wall for me.   Christine, you are a STAR!!! THANKS! Doing the happy dance! patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:23 BST (UK) »

Whos Christine?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
"Christine" threw me as well. Thought there might have been a PM somewhere?

Trish,
I note the F/S entry was "submitted". 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
Me too, I thought a PM may have been the case.

Yes hanes teulu I did say it was submitted but hopefully It may be a guide to actual records :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
I'd had a look at the entries under "submitted"*. The only reference to "Beaufront" and "Errington" I have spotted to date is page 107 of volume 10 of this series of publications -
https://www.electricscotland.com/northumberland/

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hello all. Apologies for the delay in responding as well as muddying the water with "Christine."  :'( Please call that a senior moment as I have no idea where that came from!  Hearkening back once more, if I may, to that "submitted IGI" .... Assuming that the find of John Errington who married Elizabeth Brandling is correct.....From other undocumented sources, it appears that this John Errington was the son of Gilbert Errington and Joan/Jane Ridley. This brings us back to yet another Carnaby connection wherein an Anne Carnaby married a Nicholas Errington and were his parents. (Sorry, but these sketchy references do not give approximate dates or even parishes......) The history of Beaufront "Castle" does allude to not only an Ogle connection but also a Carnaby connection.   How much of this is mere speculation or wishful thinking I don't know. At any rate, it certainly has sent me delving into some lines that do seem to have somewhat valid pedigrees on line.  May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread? I REALLY appreciate everyone's comments and links. It will take some digging to try to piece this together......Most sincerely, patrexjax
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 August 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

Regarding the places near to Beaufront Castle, The National Archives (TNA), Kew and those Archives who have made returns (lists) of documents they hold, to PRO, now TNA (note you may find other documents too at Archives in paper indexes and on their online search catalogue, not submitted in returns lists and at other Archives) ...

Unless stated search dates 1500 to 1900

Search of ... Errington Sandhoe ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Errington%20Sandhoe&_dss=range&_sd=1500&_ed=1900&_ro=any&_st=adv

Search of ... Errington Hexham ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Errington%20Hexham&_dss=range&_sd=1500&_ed=1900&_ro=any&_st=adv

Search of ... Errington Anick ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Errington%20anick&_dss=range&_sd=1500&_ed=1900&_ro=any&_st=adv

Search of ... Errington Carnaby ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Errington%20Carnaby&_dss=range&_sd=1500&_ed=1900&_ro=any&_st=adv

Search of ... Errington Ogle
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Errington%20Ogle&_dss=range&_sd=1500&_ed=1900&_ro=any&_st=adv

Search of ... "George Errington" 1500 to 1700 ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=george%20Errington&_dss=range&_sd=1500&_ed=1700&_ro=any&_st=adv

If visiting to see original documents in an Archive, you will need to formally prove who you are with some official document which has your photograph e.g. Passport AND prove your current permanent address you live at.

Some places require a 'letter of Introduction' sent beforehand, fortunately I knew the Chairman of my Local History Society and he wrote to the University Special Collections.

Always best to enquire well in advance and also advise which documents are of interest, as some are stored offsite and also due to cuts in funding, many Archives require from 3 working days to one Month's notice to retrieve documents and some Archives now have very limited opening days/times.

It looks like some of the Erringtons kept the Solicitors, Counsel and Judges very busy!

Chancery Case Example
Several years ago, I had a Case, Nicholson v. Nicholson (from 1830 to 1838) photographed in digital colour at TNA, Kew (after paying the standard fee to get an Estimate), which consisted of five large sheets about a Gratrix. The Heir at Law was a child not old enough to inherit and the Trustees did not want to continue to administer the properties until the child came of age (Leaves were probably about 3 & 4 feet wide) and the 5 images were £40 (+ Estimate Fee).

The Judges ordered the properties be sold, which my 4 X Gt Grandfather acquired in 1838 according to Yorkshire Deed Registrations  :D . The Case Leaves were most interesting about the previous owner's family and transcribing a Will too, but my ancestor was obviously unrelated to them and not mentioned  ???

Mark

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 August 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Bushinn1746, Thank you so much for the very compete listing of materials in the archives concerning Beaufront Castle and surrounding areas. Since I live in the US, personally going to Kew presents a problem for me. Perhaps with more digging on my part, I can narrow tings down more and perhaps will have to hire a paid researcher.   In any case, I appreciate your comments AND the valuable information. Most sincerely, patrexjax

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 August 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
Just a further thought, if George Errington was held as a recusant Catholic and then executed at York. York Castle was a Prison.

The Borthwick Institute at York (a Diocesan Archive too), as well as other Yorkshire Archives might have information? There was plenty of references attached to that summary in the link.

https://borthcat.york.ac.uk

In these cases there is sometimes seizure or sequestration of property too, or his property being granted to someone else after the ordering of an execution?

Mark