Author Topic: Sarah Stewart, died 1878, Ontario - What is her age, please?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Sarah Stewart, died 1878, Ontario - What is her age, please?
« on: Friday 24 August 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
While I've posted a number of threads about my Stuart ancestors, I cannot find one discussing the following - apologies if this has already been discussed.   :-\

What is the age of the deceased, please?  60 or 68?
  Note:  looking at the image and prior pages (comparing the writing), it appears that it could be 60
Were mistakes "common" when recording the late spouse's name?

Death Record
Sarah Stewart, died 9 May 1878
Widow of John Stewart, Labourer
Informant: Thomas Beatty, M.D., Etobicoke

"My" Sarah Stuart was born in Ireland c1819. I believe my Sarah Stuart died prior to 1881 and after 1871.  In 1871, she lived in Etobicoke.  However, her husband's name was James (not John), whom we believe died between 1861 and 1871.  We cannot find James' death.  Could the death record be for my Sarah?  :-\

While Stuart/Stewart was a common surname in the Toronto area at that time, the lady who died in 1878 is buried in the same cemetery as my other Stuart/Stewart family members.  Out of the 5 Stuart/Stewart burials, 2 are my family members and I believe 2 others are this lady's young children.  Her 3 married daughters were also buried in the cemetery.

Chances that her late husband's name was incorrectly recorded?  Best guesses at this lady's age, please?  (Hopefully, the link works)   ;)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-62Q9-ZL2?i=835&cc=1307826

Thank you in advance for any guidance.  Lisa

PS  Is it ok to post the link (worried about any copyright issues)?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Stewart, died 1878, Ontario - What is her age, please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 18 01:16 BST (UK) »
Links & transcriptions are acceptable, unless naming living/possible living people on forum i..e. links are fine even for living persons.

I & many others have posted links referring to living people on forum/threads & have never had/seen a problem (to date).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 18 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie:

I have posted links as well, but since the image that I was referencing this time was "courtesy" of another organization, I was concerned (I hope that makes sense).

Thank you for your guidance.  :) Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 18 03:49 BST (UK) »
I would say the age is 60 years when I compare the various eights and zeros that the same registrar wrote on that page.

John

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 03:53 BST (UK) »
the image that I was referencing this time was "courtesy" of another organization, I was concerned (I hope that makes sense).

If it's available to others then a link is fine & an advert to them  :D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hi John:

I wasn't sure if I wanted it to be 60 or if it actually did look more like 60 than 68.  Thank you for your opinion; it makes me feel better.  :)

Annie, thank you again.  I tend to worry about everything.   ::)

Thank you both so much.  Lisa

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

It looks like 60 to me as well. 

I think the mark over the top of the number 60 is a little check mark.  If you look at the records of the other people on that page, there is a little check mark over the top of their ages at death - if they were adults.  The previous and following pages also show checks over the ages of the adult deceased.  I wonder if it was a way of someone double checking the entries?  In any case - I think your record shows that age as 60 with a sort of line/check over the top. :)

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Is there a headstone in the cemetery - is it still legible?   Might help to sort our your Stewarts and get a death date for James. 

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi RK:

I started researching when I was about 20 years old (eventually becoming semi-serious about it after we bought our first computer which was well after most people purchased theirs).  I didn't know that I had Stuart ancestors.  Since finding them, they have become one of my favourite branches especially since I have a photograph of Sarah's daughter that was taken in the 1880s.

While I've noticed the check marks on other vital records, I never noticed them on Sarah's page and I don't know that I ever would have come up with your conclusion.  Thank you so much for pointing it out!

A few years ago, another kind RootsChatter was helping me with the Stuarts and with her help we (mostly she) uncovered quite a bit about the Stuarts c1870-1880s.  At least one of Sarah's children (I don't have my notes handy) died from TB (the 1878 Sarah died from "consumption") around the same time that this Sarah died.

Unfortunately, they are buried in a church cemetery and there are not headstones.  Nor apparently are there any records of where the individuals were buried so there is apparently no chance to see if they were buried near each other.

Update:  I believe the headstones from this time frame are non-existent.  Where or not they were originally there, I don't know.

Thank you for noticing the check marks and for your help and interest.   :)
---------------------------

The 1878 Sarah's religion was recorded as Church of England which fits with my Sarah's family.  It is looking more likely that this lady was my ancestor.  James, Sarah's husband, was a cooper by trade but perhaps it was just written down that he was a labourer.  Surely a family member would have known his first name and not recorded it as John?  I will look (again) to see if there was another Sarah with similar details to help rule out the possibility that this record is for a different Sarah.  Thank you all for your interest and your comments; it is quite helpful.  Lisa