Author Topic: Herbert Russell Midlane Coombe  (Read 3569 times)

Offline BlueFire2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert Russell Midlane Coombe
« on: Friday 24 August 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im looking for documentation to find Herbert Russell Midlane Coombe's place of death.
I have contacted the NSW BDM, and they have no record.
I have contacted Wentworth Shire and he is not listed in their burial records.
I have seen trees that say 1905, but there is no record, that I can find to back this up.
 If anyone HAS found a death certificate, I would like a copy.

All trees I have found also say he was named Russell Midlane Coombe and it was changed in documents in Australia to Herbert.

Birth
Jun 1840 • Wilton, Wiltshire, England

Marriage
21 Nov 1863 • Kooringa SA Australia
Bridget Bower
(1836–1917)

Herbert Russell Midane Coombe
Father's Name   John Henry Coombe
Spouse Name   Bridget Bower
Spouse's Father's Name   Thomas Bower
Marriage Date   21 Nov 1863
Marriage Place   Kooringa
Registration Place   Burra South Australia

His wife death:

Bridget Bower (Power ?)

Death
29 Dec 1917 • Wentworth, New South Wales, Australia
Registered 1918

Buried Wentworth Cemetery
I have located a newspaper article for her death.

CHILDREN

Thomas, Charles and Frances

Thanks

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Russell Midlane Coombe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 18 03:22 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were this man's grandparents John and Jane MIDLANE through a daughter Theresa Caroline.  Her sisterFrances Agnes MIDLANE married John Henry COOMBE and they are the parents of the man being sought.  His parents lived in England all their lives.

The name on his marriage is Herbert Russell Midlane COOMBE but he was baptised as "Midlane Russell COOMBE" 4 May, 1840; the birth registration uses those names and he was still just Russell Midlane COOMBE (no Herbert) in the 1851 census.

I am not sure of his arrival in Australia.

BlueFire2 can you transcribe the newspaper article for his wife's death, please?  Or give the reference for it.  I'm wondering if he's mentioned at all.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BlueFire2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 18 04:11 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching is going to find some inconsistencies. Her marriage age of 27 does not line up with this article. If true, she would have been abt 54 and I find this unlikely. I know some ladies have told porky pies on marriage certificates before, but this is too old.

One of the oldest residents of Wentworth died on the 28th December at the residence of her son in law, Mr Thomas Williams. This was Mrs Bridget Coombe, who was born in 1820, (97 years ago) and arrived in Adelaide when she was 16 years old. She had resided for upwards of half a century in the Darling River district. She leaves behind a daughter (Mrs Thomas Williams) two sons (Mr Chas Coombe, of Menindie, and Mr Tom Coombe, of Burtundy) and about 24 grandchildren.

The son, Thomas death, has Herbert Coombe as the father and Bridget. I did not find births in the index. If memory serves.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
For Judith

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article74807613

Wouldn't surprise me if bdm's were not registered in that area in that era.  Very remote.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 04:54 BST (UK) »
Australian Electoral Roll
NSW Wentworth 
COOMBE Bridget  Adam Street   Domestic Duties.

Cando

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
Agree with Cando, long distances to be travelled to register babies, not surprised if many were missed ... floods, droughts, if men were droving then no one available to mind older silbings if mum went alone ....

Some possible sighting for COOMBS  ... info on NSW electoral rolls in 19th century was based on verbal info given to the policemen sent to collect for the rolls.  Not all policemen had university qualifications for spelling... and not all could read their own scribble ... Coombs v Coombe ...  :)  Worse still, handwritten lists sent to Sydney for preparation and printing...  no internet to check re correct spelling.  No funding for morse code telegrams for checking with policeman who may well be on horseback out solving a crime :)

NSW ER 1878 BALRANALD, 
John George COOMBS, residence, of Morna, Darling River, Wentworth police district

NSW ER 1870 BALRANALD
John George COOMBS, residence, Morna, Murray River, Wentworth police district
John COOMBS, freehold, Morna, Murray River, Wentworth p.d.
Thomas COOMBS, residence, Ana-branch, Murray River, Wentworth p.d.

NSW ER 1902 RIVERINA, polling at Moorna
NONE with surname COOMBS or similar. 
Richard Frederick ROBERTS, station manager, Moorna station.  Other localities at that polling place include Wingillie, Frenchman’s Creek, Wangumma, Bunnwungie, Lake Victoria, Horseshoe.  There were 31 electors enrolled for the 1902 roll, 11 including females.

IF that's the 'right' COOMBE family ... perhaps look to the Ana-branch locality  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BlueFire2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 05:34 BST (UK) »
Around the times Frances Agnes Coombe was born, they were at Mt Gipps Station 1868. Seems like they spent a fair amount of time on Stations around Broken Hill.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 18 05:44 BST (UK) »
And that would be the reason the births were not registered.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 18 05:52 BST (UK) »
Frances' death registration on https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj shows her place of birth as Broken Hill.

Do you have any of the three chn's marriage certificates?  May have status of father ie if deceased.

Cando