Author Topic: New Jersey Marriage Record Lookup - Green/Anderson  (Read 2705 times)

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Jersey Marriage Record Lookup - Green/Anderson
« on: Friday 24 August 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hello,

On 24th October 1889 Rose Green and John Anderson were married in Paterson, Passaic, New Jersey.

If someone could confirm the bride's and groom's parents names from the marriage record it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: New Jersey Marriage Record Lookup - Green/Anderson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

A tree on Ancestry has her born Staffordshire 7.8.1869 with a father Edwin Green and a mother Selina Wood.  The tree shows confirmation from the New Jersey Marriage Records 1670-1965

Parents marriage on freebmd

December qtr 1860   
Green    Edwin   Aston    6d   424      
Wood    Selina   

1871 for Staffordshire

Edwin Green    39 - cooper b Walsall
Selina  38 b Wolverhampton
Carolina  8 b Birmingham
Selina  6 b Birmingham
Frank  3 b Birmingham
Rose  1 b Walsall
RG10 Piece 2964 Folio 135 Page 22

Rose immigrated 1887

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for both your welcome and for the information.

Apologies, it was my first post and perhaps I should have been a little more expansive.
I suspect that the tree on Ancestry is one that pointed me in the direction of the US when I first started looking for Rose Green, (my great-grandfather Frank's youngest sister).

There does seem to be minor inconsistencies regarding her date of birth:
14/8/1869 per 1905 Rhode I. Census,
 7/8/1869 per 1935 Rhode I. Census,
it was actually 3/8/1869 (from her birth certificate)
So, I thought I would look for that extra little piece of evidence that takes my 95% certainty that this is the right Rose Green, up to 100%. None of the US documents I've seen mention her place of birth in any more detail than just "England".
Parents names, which are normally shown in marriage records, seemed to be the way to go.

Unfortunately, Ancestry's New Jersey Marriages data set is not linked to the digitised documents and there's no way of knowing if their transcription is of all available info.
Access to images of that particular data set on the FamilySearch website is restricted to LDS church members or by visiting one of their centres.

Regards 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
You say you have her birth cert showing her birthdate as 3.8.1869 which is for the Rose shown above in the 1871 entry

So what you are not sure of is whether she is the same Rose who married in 1889 which can only be proved by viewing the 1889 marriage cert which hopefully shows her parents. Got it  ;D
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Her obit indicates Rose died at her daughter's home in Minnesota. Perhaps you can order her death certificate? They are only $9, which is a great price compared to what most states try to rip you off for. see link at bottom.

Newport Daily News
Newport, Rhode Island
Monday, November 13, 1950 - Page 2

Mrs. John M. Anderson, 81,
Dies In St. Paul, Minn.

Mrs. Rose Green Anderson, 81, wife of the late John M. Anderson of Jamestown, died Saturday after a brief illness at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Gilbert, in St. Paul Minnesota. Born in England, Mrs. Anderson came to the United States at an early age and settled in Newport where she lived a number of years after her marriage. In 1924 she moved to Jamestown where she remained until going to St. Paul two years ago. Besides her daughter, she leaves five sons, Edwin Anderson of Springfield, Mass., William Anderson of West Medbury, George R. Anderson of Providence, and Malcolm and John Anderson of .Jamestown, 14 grandchildren; and five great grandchildren.

==========

Newport Daily News
Newport, Rhode Island
Thursday, November 16, 1950 - Page 2

MRS. J. M. ANDERSON RITES
 Funeral services for Mrs. Rose Green Anderson, wife of the late John M. Anderson, who died Saturday at the home of her daughter in St. Paul, Minnesota, were held this afternoon at her home on East Shore road, Jamestown. The Rev. Myron Hertel, pastor of the Central Baptist Church, officiated. Bearers were her five sons, Malcolm, John M., William, Edwin and Richmond Anderson, and her grandson, Robert Anderson. Burial was here in the Island cemetery.

====================

MN Death Certificate Index: http://people.mnhs.org/finder/dci/1950-MN-027742

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Naming one of her sons Edwin seems a good indication you are on the right track for Rose

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 August 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
RJ137 - Thank you so much for the link, I've just ordered Rose's death certificate. $9 is an absolute bargain, and with free international delivery too!
Thank you also for the obituaries, plenty of useful information to hopefully feed into my family tree.

Would you happen to know if there is a website that lists the links for these type of services for the different US states? I have "lost" relatives from the other side of my family whom I know emigrated to the US but have been difficult to find just from the sources on Ancestry and FamilySearch, any additional resources in the search would be useful.

CaroleW - Yes, the circumstantial evidence is quite overwhelming and in addition, I've discovered that Rose's daughter Mrs Charles Gilbert mentioned in the obits is actually called Flora which was my grandmother's name, there could well be a link there.

My preliminary research did reveal that if this is "our" Rose Green, her descendants are quite numerous and would be a substantial addition to the family tree which I why sought that conclusive piece of evidence.

There's a 15 day delivery period for the certificate, so in the meantime I may dig out and post a couple of my long standing "brick walls" now I've finally got around to joining Rootschat.

Thank you again for your assistance,

Regards

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
RJ137 - Thank you so much for the link, I've just ordered Rose's death certificate. $9 is an absolute bargain, and with free international delivery too!
Thank you also for the obituaries, plenty of useful information to hopefully feed into my family tree.

Would you happen to know if there is a website that lists the links for these type of services for the different US states? I have "lost" relatives from the other side of my family whom I know emigrated to the US but have been difficult to find just from the sources on Ancestry and FamilySearch, any additional resources in the search would be useful.

There is no website that has these types of links listed for US States that I'm aware of. Most of the state and county records are hit and miss when it comes to these type records. Over time of researching the US  you pick up on these links here and there for the states, counties and towns/cities.

You may find this link helpful for finding records, but a large part of the links refer to either Ancestry com or FamilySearch.

https://www.deathindexes.com/sites.html

======================

In case you that is the Rose you seek, her is an image of her obit for your records. SAme obit as above, just from a different newspaper.

Rose's obit: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/23140018/rose_anderson_obit/

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
RJ137 - Thanks for the links, greatly appreciated.

Regards