Author Topic: New Jersey Marriage Record Lookup - Green/Anderson  (Read 2706 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: New Jersey Marriage Record Lookup - Green/Anderson
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 September 18 19:26 BST (UK) »

The 1920 US census finds them living in Vandergrift, Pa, under the names of Fred and Selina Brown. Frances has married a man called Richard C Noon and lives in Fort Worth, Texas.
(Interestingly, Alfred also applies for naturalisation in the name of Fred Brown)
By the 1930 US census, Alfred & Selina have moved to Fort Worth to live with their daughter and have reverted to their proper names.

The 1920/1930 census states Alfred was a painter. His obit/death notice states he was an actor. Could one name have something to do with being an actor?

Abilene Reporter-News
Abilene, Texas
Thursday, April 17, 1941 - Page 16

Veteran Actor Dies
FORT WORTH. April 17.-(AP)-Alfred Bryan, 72, whose 57-year career as an actor included innumerable appearances during the heydey of the little theater here, died last night.

=================

McAllen Daily Press
McAllen, Texas
Friday, April 18, 1941 - Page 1

ENGLISHMAN-ACTOR DIES
FORTH WORTH, April 18 (UP) Funeral services will be held today for Alfred Frederick Bryan. 72, old-time English actor, who died here Wednesday.

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 September 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
It's Lily!!  ;D
Excellent find, thank you for that suggestion!

Lilly Bland - born 9th June 1890 in Crown Close, Hawick.
Father - George William Bland, Acrobat :o
Mother - Selina Bland (nee Green)
Married 25th September 1884 in Walsall

A previous marriage, of course! It does raise all sorts of questions about possible other children and about travelling circuses!

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 15 September 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
RJ137 - Thank you for finding the obituary.

An actor, how interesting! Possibly with a stage name too. That's certainly worth some research.

Well, my great aunt Selina obviously had a thing for entertainers!

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 15 September 18 20:03 BST (UK) »

1. Locate a birth certificate for Lily (dob 9 Jun 1890 from 1939 register, shown under her married name Pittaway) to determine her father, if recorded. I can’t see anything on Scotland’s People under Bryan or Green.

Hi couldn't find a Lillian born in 1890 but did find a Lily Bland born in Hawick no other records in Scotland for a Lily Bland don't know if this could be her

Amazing Wendy - great find.........certainly going to help sort brick wall................. ;)

Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 15 September 18 20:17 BST (UK) »

1. Locate a birth certificate for Lily (dob 9 Jun 1890 from 1939 register, shown under her married name Pittaway) to determine her father, if recorded. I can’t see anything on Scotland’s People under Bryan or Green.

Hi couldn't find a Lillian born in 1890 but did find a Lily Bland born in Hawick no other records in Scotland for a Lily Bland don't know if this could be her

Amazing Wendy - great find.........certainly going to help sort brick wall................. ;)

Sandra  ;)

Maybe another brick wall behind it can't see a marriage for a Selina Green and a George William Bland plus wouldn't Selina have married under Bland rather than Green when she married Alfred Bryan

Corley 2 questions who registered Lily's birth and what status does Selina give on her second marriage

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 15 September 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Wendy,

I can't find that marriage either, seems a bit odd given that there is a specific date (25th Sep 1884) on Lily's birth certificate.
the informant was George Wm Bland.

Selina's condition was Spinster so maybe there wasn't first marriage after all and the date was made up on the spot.

I've found Lily Bland in 1891 - she's living with Alfred & Eliza Bird at 41 James Street Rushall (part of Walsall) and relationship to head of household is niece, I haven't worked out yet who exactly these people are but they are the witnesses on Alfred & Selina's marriage certificate. Alfred & Selina give 41 James St as their address.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 15 September 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
There's a possible marriage between a Alfred Bird and Eliza Taylor in Walsall in 1882 the other 2 names on Freebmd are Emily Dorman and William Knight

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 15 September 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks for that, Wendy - I've just remembered who Eliza Bird (nee Taylor) is - Selina's father died and her mother (also Selina) married a widower called Thomas Taylor, Eliza is his daughter from his previous marriage.

Offline CorleyMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 September 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
I think I may be almost there...

1891 Census
31 Eagle Street, Derby
George Wm Bland Aged 28 - Actor  Born Walsall
Selina Bland - Aged 26 - Actress  Born Birmingham
Frank Bland - Aged 6 - Scholar  Born Walsall

Therefore there's a real possibility that Frank Bland is the 3rd child referred to in the 1911 census.
Nothing stands out from a quick search of the birth registers under Bland, but there's an entry under Green in Walsall - Dec Qtr 1885 with a baptism at St John's, Walsall showing Selina Green as his mother. I think I'll order a PDF copy of the certificate to make sure, although I suspect the father's name may not be recorded.