Author Topic: Johnson Stewart BROTHERS 1820's NSW  (Read 402 times)

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Johnson Stewart BROTHERS 1820's NSW
« on: Saturday 25 August 18 03:08 BST (UK) »
Johnson Brothers, born Fermanagh Ireland 1799, arrived free on 'Caledonia' to NSW via Tasmania
in 1822.  The 'Caledonia' carried a contingent of soldiers from the 3rd. Regiment (Buffs) as convict
guards.  The death notice of Johnson Brothers in December 1875 stated that he was late of the Buffs.  His Christian name is mis-spelled but the date is correct per his death certificate.
The census of 1828 records him as overseer for Samuel Wright on his property Bengalla in the Hunter Valley.  In 1829 Johnson Brothers was granted 40 acres in the Hunter by order of Gov. Darling.  Johnson married Mary Jennings, sister of my 2xgr.grandfather in 1836.

I have the family info. for this couple.  My question is can anyone explain the process by which
soldiers from British regiments were permitted to leave their regiments and settle in NSW during
the 1820's?

Regards,
Jen
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson Stewart BROTHERS 1820's NSW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Johnson Brothers, born Fermanagh Ireland 1799, arrived free on 'Caledonia' to NSW via Tasmania
in 1822.  The 'Caledonia' carried a contingent of soldiers from the 3rd. Regiment (Buffs) as convict
guards.  The death notice of Johnson Brothers in December 1875 stated that he was late of the Buffs.  ....

I have the family info. for this couple.  My question is can anyone explain the process by which
soldiers from British regiments were permitted to leave their regiments and settle in NSW during
the 1820's?

Regards,
Jen

Yes,  several reasons ..a) they had signed on for a set number of years  b) Macquarie had a policy/ practice of offering grants of land to garrison forces if they were eligible to stay at the of the tour ... see a reliable book by a NSW military historian on the 48th regiment (the regiment relieved by the Buffs) ... the late Clem Sargent wrote the book ... I am not at home this weekend ...cant give full title of book .... search RChat for my many posts re the book ... NSW garrison 1817-1824.

JM on ereader.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
Well, I have to take my hat off to JM (yet again) ;D
There are not many with information at their fingertips on such matters., let alone personal resources to consult.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 18 00:13 BST (UK) »
JM, Thankyou! you have a vast reservoir of knowledge ;D 

Following up on your information, have located the reference (Trove) and include
      it here.  You will note that your memory served you well you are almost word perfect.
      Fortunately it is available at QSL here in Brisbane.  Will also look at your posts
      re the book.

Kind regards,
Jen.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
Sue, couldn't agree more ;D   I was hoping JM would see my post, she has a wealth of knowledge
especially on NSW.

Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Home now ...  :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2184036 Sydney Gaz 19 May 1825

Many of the garrison forces who stayed in NSW took the option outlined at 9, so too did many of those who came free from England prior to about 1828 ....

Search Trove for 1820-1830 'grant without purchase' ...  :)

My ancestors include
Scots who arrived 1790s ... came free,
Convicts who arrived 1800s
Convicts who arrived 1810s
'foreigners' (not British Subjects) who arrived 1810s
Garrison forces most decades from 1800-1840
Came Free with appointments from English Govt, for roles in NSW Admin 1810s

So most of my ancestors came to NSW, (2 came to Victoria with gold fever)... and were basically 3rd generation or more prior to Gold Fever issues of the 1850s ....  Two of these ancestors were paper pushers for the admin....  and unlike doctors or engineers or clergy, these two ancestors handwriting is legible.    :)

Yes, thanks Jen that's the book  :)  Mr Sargent's book has excellent Bibilography and Appendix etc, complete with relevant WO file references ... Mitchell Library, Sydney has paylists, musters, etc etc for 48th, so likely similar for the Buffs ... and thanks Sue and Jen for compliments.  I am  :-[  :-[  :-[

JM  ADD, 'foreigners'were not eligible for any land ... they needed to be naturalised before lodging any applications ...

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 18 02:38 BST (UK) »
Good morning JM,  Thankyou for taking time to expand on your original post and for
                            the Trove references particularly the Government and General order of May
                            1825, it is a gem.   From your description Clem Sargent's book promises a
                            wealth of information and from enquiries made this morning it is available
                            on inter-library loan.  Will look into the possibility of musters for the Buffs
                            being held at Mitchell Library.  Thanks again for your time and expertise. :D

Regards,
Jen.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 18 03:31 BST (UK) »
I think the following is about the limit of my resources at the moment  :)

Johnston or Johnstone or Jonathan BROTHERS, 3rd Regiment (Buffs)... Seven year enlistment enlisted 24 March 1820.  Duty in NSW commenced 25 December 1822, ended 26 July 1827, discharged, service expired.

NSW, Sydney start 22 Dec 1822; Newcastle start 25 Sept 1823; Port Macquarie start Sept 1825 till July 1827.

General Info re the 3rd Regiment : https://www.bda-online.org.au/files/MR6_Military.pdf

JM

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
That is the information I need JM ;D thankyou!  It fills in all the blanks, you never cease to
amaze me with your knowledge and expertise. :D

Kind regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Jennings NSW, Australia
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight