Author Topic: looking for William Johnson  (Read 909 times)

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
looking for William Johnson
« on: Saturday 25 August 18 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for william Johnson He married Mary cairnes 8th feb 1869 Lisburn (Dromore) co Down he said his address was Clogher Presbyterian (Co tyrone) I presume. he was a weaver full age and batchelor His father James Johnston a farmer. Mary came from Drumlough aged 18 born abt 1842 and her father was John Cairns also a farmer according to Johns will they went to America. I would like to find where they went to if possible and williams mothers name. Because he stated his address was Clogher dosent necessarily mean he came from there thanks lnr

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for William Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for william Johnson He married Mary cairnes 8th feb 1869 Lisburn (Dromore) co Down he said his address was Clogher Presbyterian (Co tyrone) I presume. he was a weaver full age and batchelor His father James Johnston a farmer. Mary came from Drumlough aged 18 born abt 1842 and her father was John Cairns also a farmer according to Johns will they went to America. I would like to find where they went to if possible and williams mothers name. Because he stated his address was Clogher dosent necessarily mean he came from there thanks lnr

Was the above marriage information from a transcription rather than the actual record? 'Clogher Presbyterian' doesn't make sense as an address and marriage certificates don't list religion of bride and groom. Names of witnesses?

There is a marriage in Downpatrick district in 1869 for a William Johnson in Irish Genealogy (actual image should be added to site by end of this year) but can't see a match in GRONI's database.

There are quite a few townlands called Clogher in Ireland- including at least two in Lisburn Poor Law Union & one in Downpatrick which are more likely to be where William was living at the time of the marriage.

Suggest you click on 'report to moderator' and ask for this topic to be moved to Tyrone board. Several of your earlier Cairns topics say that William & Mary went to America so suggest you look for William's death certificate (if there is one) to see if names of noth parents are listed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi I found this marriage genealogy ireland ie witness for william being John MCKAUKEY and for Mary Thomas MCLELLAND thanks for the info about the Clogher townsland I have tried to look in america but there are so many Johnstons Thanks lnr

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 00:01 BST (UK) »

...Hi I am looking for william Johnson He married Mary cairnes 8th feb 1869 Lisburn (Dromore) co Down ...

According to the church record, the marriage took place in Drumlough Presbyterian Church (just south of Hillsborough) in 1860, not 1869, William's address was simply Clogher, and the witnesses were Thomas McClelland and John McConkey.

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
Yes sorry made a mistake with the date it was 1860 thanks lnr