Author Topic: I'm 4th-6th cousin with a match; my mum is 5th-8th cousin  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
I'm 4th-6th cousin with a match; my mum is 5th-8th cousin
« on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
When checking a DNA result tonight, I noticed that I share a 4th-6th cousin connection with some and my mum shares a 5th-8th cousin connection (she has always had the closer match with someone).

I know very little about DNA, but if I understand it correctly, siblings can inherit different amounts.  Since I've never come across a match that shows me supposedly having a closer connection with the shared match (than my mum has with this person), how would that be possible, please?
Update:  Is it because we all inherit different amounts?  :-\

Thank you for any guidance.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm 4th-6th cousin with a match; my mum is 5th-8th cousin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Ancestry always gives a range. It's best to look at the more detailed results. What cMs and over how many segments do you have for yours and your mother's matches?

Gadget

You could also be related on your father's side too.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

Ohhh.   I don't know how to check that.

Thank you for asking though.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
If you click on the match, you should get more details.
You then need to click on the little i symbol for information. See below

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
I have
20.9 centimorgans shared across
2 DNA segments

My mum has
18.9 centimorgans shared across
2 DNA segments

Thank you very much for pointing this out. I don't know what it means  ;D but I didn't realize one could do that.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
I'm reading the "match confidence score" explanation now - this is helpful as I know so little about the topic.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 August 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
I'd say that the  results look very similar and within the statistical error range. I'm not sure why they put you in different relationship categories, apart from using 20 cMs as a cut off.

Has the person got a tree that you could look at?

Also click on the shared matches, which will give you a listing of matches you both share :

Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

Good possibility about the 20 cMs as a cutoff.

The person has a somewhat abbreviated tree that contains mostly Irish folks, one Canadian and some unknowns.  My mum's ancestors were mostly Irish but from briefly looking at the other person's tree, our ancestors were not from the same parts of Ireland as this person.  I am Canadian and my ancestors arrived in Canada between c1830s-c1870.  If we are related, I suppose it could be through our Irish ancestors, the person who was born in Canada, or through some of the unknowns.

I only share one match with the person and I've never heard of the other match either.  Unfortunately, the other match does not have a tree.  My shared DNA with the other person is 33 cMs.

I am just checking my mum's shared matches and have to figure it out (which could take a bit of time).  I'll be back later.

Thank you very much for your help, Gadget.  I've learned a lot tonight and have some investigating to do.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 August 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
When you return, have a read of this:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

You need to click on the Masterclass link.

Gadget