Author Topic: Most wildly inappropriate Ancestry Hint  (Read 5995 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Most wildly inappropriate Ancestry Hint
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 September 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Re reply 15

To find your mutual great grandparents for 2nd and 3rd cousins it's actually helpfull to go back and extra generation

Can you identify all 8 of your g GPS rents and compare to theirs

If none in common could be match not string enough .
If there were remarriage  or love children born to one grandparent a 2nd cousins link will come up as 3rd cousin

Does that make sense ...mum and I found her half cousin ...only one grandparent in common so heasy was matched to her around second cousin and to me as a 3rd

Other 3rd cousing matches have been grand children of great aunt ..so you need to list all siblings in each generation too...it helps find matches .

Good luck.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 16 September 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Just had another insane suggestion!

For Ann Thornton, born 1834 in Lancashire and died in June 1836 (both baptism and burial at Blackrod attached to the tree), Ancestry suggests I check out:

An 1891 census entry for a Jane Young in Portsea, Hampshire.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 September 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
Just had another insane suggestion!

For Ann Thornton, born 1834 in Lancashire and died in June 1836 (both baptism and burial at Blackrod attached to the tree), Ancestry suggests I check out:

An 1891 census entry for a Jane Young in Portsea, Hampshire.

There are several "Jane Young"s in Portsea in 1891.  One looks like the Jane Ann Thornton bc1833 who m. Harry W Young in 1854.  Both b. Hampshire so no link other than that. 

Sometimes I wonder whether these algorithms do not treat a burial event as conclusive proof of a death.  As you imply, there should be no suggestion give in the case of anyone for a date after they have died. 

At least Portsea and Bolton are in the same country!
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

guest189040

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry just threw a wobbler and totally locked me out.

Had to phone support to get it unlocked, spoke to a really annoying American.

Anyway its all OK now.

Whilst on to them I gave them a blast about the terrible hints and suggested that they get their Tech to look at forums such as this to see how bad their site now is.

Also mentioned that the document images we used to see in the hints is no longer available in the same numbers

Offline Scrumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Martin 1886 - 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hints can be useful sometimes, I've just found my gt-grandma is in Shropshire, she's 141 years old and has reverted to her maiden name  ???
Davies in Wales :(

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes I wonder whether these algorithms do not treat a burial event as conclusive proof of a death.
I believe that is the case. If you have baptism and burial facts for a person but no birth or death facts, it doesn't take those dates into account.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 November 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
If you have baptism and burial facts for a person but no birth or death facts, it doesn't take those dates into account.
It doesn't take birth or death into account either. The Ann Thornton I mentioned has Birth and Death entries, because the events were not actually in Blackrod, but close by. Burial ought to imply death, and until recently that would have been in the couple of days before the burial.

I don't know for sure what the usual arrangements are in Ancestry's Utah. Some Mormons have multiple wives; perhaps they go in for multiple burials too. ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

guest189040

« Reply #34 on: Sunday 16 June 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
I was just about to ring up my Cousin to give him an earfull about not inviting us to his wedding which had just come up as an Ancestry hint when I noticed he got married 120 years before he was born.