Author Topic: Alexander Liddell Jane Sneddon Marriage  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Flipside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Liddell Jane Sneddon Marriage
« on: Saturday 25 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am struggling to find a marriage Alexander Liddell and Jane Sneddon and i am beggining to think they did not marry.  Alexander died 24 Sep 1851Cambuslang, Lanark, Scotland and Jane 20 Jul 1864 Rutherglen.  Jane was born round about 1826 in Shettleston.

The had a son William born round about 1847 in Cambuslang, he married Annie Beattie on 23 Mar 1866 in Eddlewood Hamilton.

The strange thing is on William's marriage certificate his mother is listed as Janet Sneddon, on his death certificate it is Janet Short.  I also cant find William's birth certificate  I am confused lol, i have the RCE for Jane but i wont post up as it very unpleasant to read 

Any help would be appreciated

Flip

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Liddell Jane Sneddon Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
As William is noted as illegitimate on his death registration, and Janet Sneddon is noted as single on her death registration, I think it's fair to assume William's parents didn't marry.

I would go with William's parents as they appeared on his marriage registration, as William himself would have given this information to the registrar. Parents' names on death registrations are notoriously inaccurate, as in many cases, the person who registered the death may not have been that closely related (if at all) to the deceased.

And I wouldn't worry too much about not finding a baptism record for William - the kirk was often reluctant to baptise illegitimate children unless both parents were present.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
Yes  would agree with Ruth ...the marriage certificate would have the correct name for his mother

Going by the census record 1851 address Baird Lane Calton Street Tollcross Lanarkshire
William Liddel is with his mother Jane Sneddon and grandmother Janet Russell

Rosie

Offline Flipside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone

I thought i was going crazy there  ;D.  Even though William is illegitimate the census record links him at a critical junction in my family so i am most grateful.

If i may ask one more question, i have no information about Alexander other than his date of death and location. Is there a way to find out anything about him? 

Flip

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
Do you have an address for Alexander Liddell in 1851 ? and his age ...I can see the death for Alexander Liddell on Scotlands people 1851 ...I'm assuming you Have more information to confirm this is the right person ? Have you tried looking for him on the census records and

Rosie

Offline Flipside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
I have nothing at all other than death and i cant confirm death actually links  :-[.  I did have the go at the census, but i am not the best with it  :'(

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Yes not much to go on with the death  ???  Maybe worth while trying to see if Jane applied for poor relief when William was born to see if there is any mention of the father ..Not sure where you live but the Mitchell Library Glasgow  has records of people applying for poor relief .

Rosie 

Offline Flipside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Cracking idea rosie, i am heading there on the 4th of September i have never been before so crossed fingers something turns up.  Many thanks

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
That's good.. well worth a visit.. The Mitchell Library also has a Scotlands People search room not sure if its still about £15.00 for the whole day if you are going to use the search room I would advise to phone up and book a seat ...The poor relief records are free to search some amazing records there

Good luck with your research and keep us posted with your results  :)

Rosie