Author Topic: Cavan. Schools.  (Read 10473 times)

Offline acooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cavan. Schools.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 15:38 GMT (UK) »
My family came from Virginia, a little town north of Kells.
Surname was Green and they were in Virginia from 1860's to probably 1960s.
The girls married and moved away. The last male didn't marry and died in the 1960s I believe.

Any idea which National School children from Virginia would have attended?
My gran took me there once and pointed out a building where she went to school so it may still be standing.
GREEN, SKELLY, SHERIDAN of Virginia, Co. Cavan.
BROWN, CARR. (thought to be Presbyerians from Northern Ireland)
COOPER, perhaps from Ulster?

Offline balmae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
Just found this chat and thought an update might be of interest. I went to the National School in Farnham Street, Cavan in 1950's. It was predominantly C of I. After going our separate ways for further education and careers ten of us met up again in 2004 and each year since then to relive our memories of those school days with our teacher Mrs Magaghy. Her assistant teacher from then also joins us!! Is this a record?

Offline otter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 October 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
I do have transcribed lists of children attending National Schools in and around Cootehill, Co. Cavan.  Most are names of children when they first enrolled in the schools.

If you are sure your people lived in the Cootehill area, I may be able to do a lookup for you.  What I have starts in the mid/late 1800's forward.

Offline alimully

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 October 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
There are some lists of early Kilmore schools registers, in the book 'All Lovely Kilmore' by Wendy swan. From late 1800's to early 1900's. Probaly not the area that the army children would have gone to but may  be useful reference.

Alison

Offline Looflow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 June 22 23:05 BST (UK) »
DAVIES family research

Hi is it possible to look up school registers in Cootehill for my grandmother and her brothers attending in the early 1900s.  William, Edwin, John, Ellen, Samuel and Arthur?  The last 3 were born in Cootehill.  They lived in the Gas Works cottages Cootehill and looking through street directories I note their father Edwin was recorded as gas manager and his surname was also spelt Daves.  They may have moved to Monaghan around 1912-14 but I don't know how to check that out.  Any information would be much appreciated.

Looflow

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 June 22 23:25 BST (UK) »
DAVIES family research
Hi is it possible to look up school registers in Cootehill for my grandmother and her brothers attending in the early 1900s.  William, Edwin, John, Ellen, Samuel and Arthur?  The last 3 were born in Cootehill.  They lived in the Gas Works cottages Cootehill and looking through street directories I note their father Edwin was recorded as gas manager and his surname was also spelt Daves.  They may have moved to Monaghan around 1912-14 but I don't know how to check that out.  Any information would be much appreciated.
Looflow

Family in 1911 shows children as William & Edwin (born Scotland), Ellen Eva, Samuel Rowland, Thomas Arthur. Nine children but only 6 living.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Cootehill_Town/Chapel_Lane__St____Mun0ly_/343593/

Ellen Eva's birth gives mother's maiden name as Hands-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01888/1733881.pdf
Son Samuel Roland-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01782/1700174.pdf
Son Thomas Arthur (Davis)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1909/01600/1642955.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Looflow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 June 22 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey.

Thanks for this information.  Any idea how I find the names of the missing children who must have died young?

I know the Davies family came originally from Shropshire England and moved around with the father's work which brought them first to Cavan?

BTW:  Ellen my grandmother married Watson Armstong and you were already helping with research into his father James Armstrong (gardener) in Belfast who died before 1901 census and his father Andrew who was a shepherd in Armagh.  I still have had no luck with them.  I even contacted the National Archives in Dublin without success.

LF

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 June 22 23:55 BST (UK) »
Using free searches on Scotland's People-

Possible deaths in Scotland (surname Davies, mother's maiden name Hands)-
DAVIES ANNIE, age 2, mother- HANDS, 1896, 570/ 22, Lochwinnoch
DAVIES REBECCA, age 0, mother- HANDS, 1897, 570/ 64, Lochwinnoch

1901 census-Lochwinnoch, Renfrew. (570/ 6/ 10)
DAVIES EDWIN age 35
DAVIES ANNIE age 30
DAVIES WILLIAM age 7
DAVIES EDWIN age 2

Births- Davies/Lochwinnoch district-
DAVIES JOHN 1893 (570/ 28)
DAVIES REBECCA 1897 (570/ 92)
DAVIES EDWIN 1898 (570/ 116)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 June 22 07:11 BST (UK) »

BTW:  Ellen my grandmother married Watson Armstong and you were already helping with research into his father James Armstrong (gardener) in Belfast who died before 1901 census and his father Andrew who was a shepherd in Armagh.  I still have had no luck with them.  I even contacted the National Archives in Dublin without success.

Associated thread-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=862460.9

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo