Author Topic: Cavan. Schools.  (Read 10455 times)

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cavan. Schools.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding.  As I'm sure you know, we searchers need to maintain the hope of finding answers.

Regards,   Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure about the registers of Irish schools being online. If there any are there are very few of them. You'd fare better if your ancestors attended Eton, Rugby or Giggleswick :D The Eton School Register: 1791-1909, The Rugby School Register 1675-1874 and the Giggleswick School Register 1499 - 1913 are available on CDs

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about the schools attended by children of the soldiers who were at the barracks in Cavan during the 1890s.

Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Ireland was a very catholic country so the schools would have been run by the catholic church so it would have been very rare or unheard of for other religions to be in the Irish school system. Thankfully all that has changed today

Anne

Hiya Anne and Kathleen,

The PRONI article on School Records indicates that National Schools and Public Elementary Schools were open to all denominations. The article says "Some 2,500 national schools were established in Ulster in the period 1832-1870, built with the aid of the Commissioners of National Education and local trustees..."

I don't know how many were established in the other Provinces. In the Inspector's Report section of the article it says "Due to the fact that the newly established primary school system was to be non-denominational, all of the main churches were united in their dislike of the separation of the religious from the academic. On occasion this clerical opposition resulted in the establishment of rival schools in the area."

Kathleen, are you looking for the Roll Books and Registers of Drumaloor National School or did you just mention that name as an example because you noticed it in the Cavan and Monaghan records on the LDS site? The National Archives hold "National School Roll Books and Registers" received via the Department of Education - Cavan"

Christopher

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 July 07 23:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christopher. I'll do some checking into that.

Regards,  Kathleen

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 September 07 21:17 BST (UK) »

Which year is the earliest for Co Cavan school registers ?

I did notice a schoolmaster listed in the 1821 census and it mentioned the number of girls and boys that he taught

Linden

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 September 07 21:44 BST (UK) »
Linden,

The National Archives link shows the earliest school is Corlatty Carroll in 1804.

Christopher

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 September 07 22:39 BST (UK) »

Hi again Christopher ,

You are a mine of information !
I've just had a reply back from Cavan Genealogists saying they couldn't find any parish records for my Leddy family , so I'm going to try your earlier suggestions .
A researcher in the National Archives told me which first names in the Griffiths evaluations matched my family - so I guess that's one place to start .  The school lists would be another .

I've always wondered where people got the money to emigrate , even if it was only to England.

Regards,
Linden

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 September 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Linden,

There were many ways to raise the funds to emigrate ... a few that spring immediately to mind are ...

1. If the family was a large one and a couple of the older members had married someone with a bit of money they would probably have assisted younger ones to emigrate.
2. Landlords sometimes paid people to emigrate rather than have them on their land.
3. A member of a family may have emigrated on their own, found a job and sent money home so that others could emigrate.
4. Transportation for committing a crime meant there was no necessity to pay.
5. Many emigrated as bonded-servants. They would be given passage to America, paid by the person who brought them over and would have to work off their passage upon their arrival as per their contract. This could be a period lasting as long as seven years.

Christopher