Author Topic: 1900s Austrian records  (Read 622 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1900s Austrian records
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

I would love some help navigating the Austrian birth and death records for a Hungarian Jewish great uncle.

Miksa Weisz was born in Budapest in 1882 to parents Jacob Weisz and Berta Steiner. He married Aranka Schirf in 1908 in Debrecen but they divorced; he married Rezsin Schiller in Budapest in 1911 but she died in 1918 of the Spanish flu together with their 6 year old son, leaving a daughter Joli; he then married Margit Friedmann in Vienna in 1924 but they divorced in 1929 and I don't think his daughter Joli saw him after that.

I am trying to establish if Miksa and Margit had any children between 1924 and 1929; and what happened to Miksa after that, as none of the family knows. Did he die in Vienna or go back to Budapest?

Many many thanks if you are able to offer any help with what birth/death records I could look through to try and trace him. I managed to find the marriage info by looking up the records of all Miksa Weisz's from the JewishGen database, but I don't think I can access the birth indexes etc for 1924 from here.
Here's hoping....
Colee

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1900s Austrian records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hello
There is a family tree for Miksa on Geni, which is a communal website.
Those that have contributed reseacrh to it are listed as
Zsuzsa Varró, Éva Berta Karádi, Emma Cole, Balázs Déri, Dinah Bar-On and me in a very minor way because Margit was missing and I have now added her for you.

The tree includes photos of Mlksa's parents, Miksa and Rezsin, and Jolan (as Jolan Vadas) and her husband Gyula Karádi (formerly Krausz). 
Info on Jolan's 3 children is private as is info on a child of Miksa and Aranka.

One of the above contributors has stated that Miksa died in 1932, but they have included no references to verify it.  If it was the same person who submitted the family photos, their family knowledge may be more intimate and perhaps they could help you further.

Thats about all I can tell you

Regards Roy G

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, try GenTeam.
Free to use, and I see there are several pages of references to the name of your Great Uncle, so fingers crossed.

https://www.genteam.at
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 June 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Roy and Mowsehowse

Yes I have found GenTeam a very useful resource, I have found important leads through it - ie one yesterday with a marriage between Ernst Friedmann and Lizzi Weiss in 1933, I'm now looking for the actual register entry on Family Search, but I think it might not be accessible on line. I looked through the book for 1932-34 at various synagogues in districts I and II, but the Schiffschule marriages for 1933 were missing, they must be in another book which seems to be only on microfiche or locked.

I also found Miksa's marriage and divorce on GenTeam a while back, then found the register entries in the same way, as they were registered under the same synagogue, Schiffschule in district II. But this is the last time that I can find Miksa in any records. I know that Margit went to New York in 1936 and died there in 1976. But I have no idea where Miksa went after that. He didn't go back to live with his young daughter in Budapest (she was born in 1914) who was being brought up by her grandparents (her mother, Miksa's 2nd wife, died in the Spanish flu in 1918).

Miksa was born in Budapest, he lived in Debrecen at some point when he married his first wife in 1908 but they divorced soon after. He was in Budapest with his 2nd wife in 1911 who died in 1918 as mentioned above, then married Margit Friedmann his 3rd wife in 1924, divorcing in 1929. He was some sort of electrical engineer. That's all I know about him from the records.

By the way, the names you mention Roy are known relatives. I'm not sure where the 1932 date came from, but I don't think it's correct.

Maybe my best option is to look in the Red Cross ITS tracing service docs, I don't think they're on line but accessible in London at the Weiner Library. Any other ideas of course I'd be very grateful!

Many thanks
Colee