Author Topic: YUGOSLAVIA: Sovic from Vajska  (Read 544 times)

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
YUGOSLAVIA: Sovic from Vajska
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have a friend who's father was Yugoslavian and he came to Britain after WW2. He died when she was 16 so doesn't have much information about him. According to family stories her Granparents Jaksa and Marija Sovic lived in the area of Vajska. He was a farmer according to her father's marriage certificate. Her Grandma was of German origin so at some point she was put into a work camp with her father's brother once Russia invaded. Apparently they died in this camp. Her father was more fortunate and escaped. Marija maiden name was Bartolovic. Her father Josef Sovic
Any ideas where I can start reseaching this family? She appreciates after the wars in Yugoslavia many records are lost so she may not get personal data but she would like to know more about the history of these places and time. Also will the surname Sovic be a shortened version of a longer Yugoslav name?
Thanks.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: YUGOSLAVIA: Sovic from Vajska
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I've split your topic off from the other topic to give it space of its own, as the other was for a different family and quite old!

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Serbia_Civil_Registration
It appears Vajska was in the region of Vojvodina so there may be a birth record for Josef, but it seems you will have to figure out which office would now hold the records and write to them directly.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this, I couldn't find the button for new posts.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline loish711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Great thanks :)