Author Topic: BALLARD Burial  (Read 846 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
BALLARD Burial
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 20:49 BST (UK) »

Seeking any information regarding the death/burial of James Alderton BALLARD.  I don't know his birth/baptism details, but he married in Gorleston in 1797 and had nine children between 1797 and 1812.

His will was written in September 1817 and probate was granted in November 1822.  His will refers to him as "mariner" of Gorleston.

I'm just returning to my research on this individual after a gap of a good many years and have found some (very!) rough notes in my file to the effect that he may have been serving on board the revenue cutter HMS Ranger which went down with all 29 crew off Happisburgh on 13th October 1822.  My notes show a burial date of 22nd October 1822 - but no location - and that his eldest son (also James Alderton BALLARD) may also have been a member of the crew.  Unfortunately, I don't have a note of any sources for the above!

If anyone can help, I would be most grateful.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: BALLARD Burial
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 03:46 BST (UK) »
I can't help with a burial, however this article about the destruction of the Ranger states that the first mate was "Mr Bellard" (also called "Mr Ballard" later in the article). One of the survivors (there were 8 in all who were not actually on the boat when it broke apart) was Joseph BALLARD.

Norfolk Chronicle, Saturday, October 19, 1822, Vol. LIII, Issue 2744, p.3

The article is quite long so I won't transcribe it, but I could send you a copy if you don't have access.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 03:58 BST (UK) »
This may be the source of your information -

"BALLARD - on the 8th inst., at Gorleston, Suffolk, aged 85, Mary, relict of the late James Ballard, Esq., who with his son, and the greater part of the crew, were drowned in the month of October, 1822, by the sinking of the "Ranger" Revenue Cutter, off Hasbro' - a tremendous gale blowing at the time."

Norfolk News, Saturday, July 19, 1862

Also printed in the Norfolk Chronicle, Saturday, July 19, 1862

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all that.  I'm not sure whether that was my original source for my notes, but I've managed to find online and print a copy of the Norfolk Chronicle article - makes fascinating and sad reading.

Actually, quite a sad story.  James BALLARD had four sons and five daughters.  His first two sons (both baptised as James Alderton BALLARD) died in infancy and so the third one was given the same name (James was obviously desperate for a son to carry on the family name), then father and son die in the same tragedy …

Interestingly, the Alderton and Ballard names have been carried on down the family - my 2xgreat-uncle was James Alderton Ballard SYRETT!

Many thanks again for your help - and still hoping to locate James's burial.

Pennie

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
You will doubtless have found this by now but in the parish register of Gorleston with Southtown, Suffolk the entry appears as follows

James Alderton Ballard Senr of Yarmouth aged 49 buried Oct 20th
James Alderton Ballard junior of Yarmouth aged 19 buried Oct 20th
Henry Wigg of Gorleston aged 33 buried Oct 20th
Banjamin Angel of Gorleston aged 37 Oct 24th
Side note in register "These four were lost in the Ranger Cutter"
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 20:47 BST (UK) »

Hi Paul ...

My most sincere apologies for not responding to your post earlier.

No, I hadn't come across those burials so thank you very much for listing them - they'll be added to my folder on this family and will give me a kick-start to investigating the BALLARDs again!

Once again, many thanks for your kind help.

Pennie