Author Topic: Hugh McIntosh and Maggie Jane Cameron descendants Peterhead  (Read 849 times)

Offline juls178

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh McIntosh and Maggie Jane Cameron descendants Peterhead
« on: Sunday 26 August 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for help with descendants of Hugh McIntosh b. 1881 in Fraserburgh I think and Maggie Jane Cameron b. 1895 Peterhead. They lived in Peterhead, and had three children I think - my grandfather John Robertson McIntosh was one of the children.
Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McIntosh and Maggie Jane Cameron descendants Peterhead
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

The marriage was Henry (not Hugh)  McIntosh and Maggie Jane Cameron. 1920 St Nicholas

Your grandfather was born in 1921 Peterhead

There is a birth for a James McIntosh in 1923 and William 1925 both in Peterhead

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Quite an age gap between Henry & Maggie.  There is a Henry McIntosh death in Aberdeen 1959 aged 78.  Is that him?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline juls178

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome and the information. :-)
Ah, excuse the error. Henry's first wife Sophia died. I haven't worked out his death place / date yet. I've just started to research this side of the family.

Is it easy enough to search for children on scotlandspeople? How did you do it?
thanks J

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 01:07 BST (UK) »
It's not easy to search for children for that period as SP does not show mothers maiden name against the entry.  They were the only 2 births in Peterhead in that timescale so it's guesswork unless you buy copies of their birth certs to confirm their parents names. 

Your grandfather was easy because you knew his name and he also had a middle name

There is a Henry McIntosh birth in Fraserburgh in 1881 on SP

Henry's first wife Sophia died

There is a Sophia McIntosh death in 1920 St Nicholas - aged 34
A Sophia Ann Dav** Mackie married William McIntosh in 1911 St Nicholas but I can't find a Henry McIntosh marriage to a Sophia or any other McIntosh marriage to a Sophia

The death above was 1920 and Henry & Maggie married 1920 so a bit dicey

There is a Henry McIntosh marriage to an Elizabeth Ann Collins in St Nicholas in 1911
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage in Fraserburgh in 1904 between Henry Mackintosh and Sophia Smith Park, which could be the first marriage.

I can't see an obvious death for Sophia Smith Park - the Sophia Mcintosh who died in 1920 in St Nicholas doesn't appear to have been indexed with another name - which may indicate that she was single, but it could equally be an oversight - you'd need to check the registration entry to be sure.

Although I agree with CaroleW, the proximity of this Sophia's death and Henry's second marriage is a bit tight  :-\

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for a Sophia Smith Park 1885 in Fraserburgh.

1911 Census index(232/1 13/ 16)
Peterhead Aberdeen.
Henry McIntosh 29
Sophia McIntosh 25

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records