Author Topic: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to  (Read 7343 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame,

I am not related to the Westburys at all. I am in Australia though!

Rootschat is a community of helpful people from all over the World.

The info I found on John Westbury and Parents was from records available on-line.

Capetown found you records on Ancestry and Shume (Stephanie) Australian records.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Marriage from Anc.

Thomas WESTBURY
Ann TUFFLEY
17 Oct 1821, Eastleach Turville, Gloucestershire
Bachelor/Spinster

THOS Westbury was Baptised 2 Feb 1800 to HENRY/MARY

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Baptism at Eastleach Turville - parents: Henry & Mary WESTBURY

Heny - 9 December 1781 - Henry married 8 November 1809 at E.T. to Anne NEWY  **
Mary - 11 January 1781
Richd - 26 October 1783  **
Ginney/Jenney - 9 March 1788  (see baptisms at Highworth below)
Mary - 10 November 1793
Thos - 2 February 1800

---

**  1841 Census Eastleach Martin

WESTBURG (on Ancestry)

Henery - 60 Ag Lab
Ann - 60
William - 28
Robert - 19

---

Henry WESTBURY age 78 buried 21 September 1834 at Eastleach Turville
Mary the wife of Henry WESTBURY Snr - age 73 (c1758) - buried 5 May 1831.

----
?
Ancestry does have marriage at Highworth, Wiltshire

30 October 1780

Henry WESTBURY

residence: Sojourner

Mary PAGE :

residence: Sojourner  *    * means one who resides temporarily

by banns

Notes: In Banns, Mary is "is of this parish: but register says both are inhabitants

There is a baptism at Highworth, Wiltshire of Mary PAGE - born 20 June 1758 and christened 22 June 1758 parents: Richd. (labourer)  & Martha

siblings

Richard - 24 August
Jenny -  born 22 January - christened 25 January 1760/1

Offline GWestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 August 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish1120
Thank you so much for all the help, I really appreciate it. I am also thankful to Capetown and Shume (Stephanie) for both your input too.  Are either of you part of the Westbury family?
The way I accidentally came upon this site, I was following a guy, Nick Westbury, who placed posts maybe 8 years ago looking for any info on the Westbury family. Nick was looking around 1400s especially Lord Westbury MP and legal reformer 1457/8 who is quoted for his judgement to law student even today.  But it seems his name was taken up from peerage records and was not a Westbury through his genealogy records. As I am new to the Family Tree research I need to now go through all this a see if I can make sense of it and then find out what is my next logical step.
Starting with an old newspaper is not always the best place to start as you find, as I have, the errors you assumed were facts.
Thanks again to all of you for this great assistance.
Kind regards
Grahame

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 August 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Go over it all and make up a chart (Family Tree) and if you need any help just add it to this query in the future.

Trish :)

Offline GWestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 August 18 05:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish,
That is what I plan to do, again I really appreciate your help. 
As this is my first family search attempt I am very happy where I have come to, even though it is totally not what I expected or have been told through family conversations with older aunts when I was very young, and that is a long, long time ago.
Initially I tried using Ancestry.com and paid for a search of my family history and what came back was totally incorrect and had nothing to do with my family, so I have not ventured into that site again. Anyway I will get to it!
Kind regards
Grahame

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 October 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame

My Granfather Colin Westbury born 1915 said that he went to a will reading in the 1950s and all the relatives of John Westbury born 1876 and James born 1873 were told to leave as they were Hannah`s children from another father , that John born 1824  had raised as his own .....i cant find their births .

regards Steve

Offline GWestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 14 October 18 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for this. As I understand, John Westbury Born 1824 Eastleach Turville, Gloucestershire, England, baptised 11 July 1824 Eastleach Turville, he married Ann Kilmister at Highworth, Wiltshire, Sept 1856.  They had a daughter Cassandra.  They embarked on a sea voyage from Liverpool to Sydney, Australia on the ship "Castilian" arriving in Sydney 16 June 1858.  Cassandra Westbury died, her death registered at Raymond Terrace district, NSW 1858. Ann WESTBURY died 1873, AGE 55 YEARS in TENTERFIELD NSW. John Westbury then married Hannah Hoult in Tenterfield in 1876. Hannah Hoult was originally from East End London, England. John Westbury, Farmer, died Tenterfield 1894 aged 70 years.
John Westbury b. 1876 died 1936 aged 60. Hannah Westbury, Hannah died 1952 Long Jetty NSW, widow. Her Will was administered by W Westbury - Children born to John and Hannah all at Tenterfield, were William b 1880, Thomas b 1883, Elizabeth 1884, Sarah b 1889, Robert b 1891. (no mention of John Westbury b. 1876 or Richard).  However I am aware that Hannah changed her religion from Church of England to Roman Catholic, so maybe that caused a family split? 
I am unaware of your grandfather, Colin Westbury or James Westbury?  Also I have found a Newspaper article from the Tenterfield Star, Monday 6 June 1955 by N. Crawford - Extracts from Reminiscences by RICHARD WESTBURY in (1942), Richard was then of resident at Wallangarra Qld. Richard b. 1880 said he was younger brother of John Westbury b. 1876 and his father John Westbury b. 1824 in England, was early pioneer settler of Leech’s Gully. Richard said "My father, John Westbury married Hannah Hoult in Tenterfield some time in 1876". John married Hannah after his first wife died in 1873. Hannah Hoult was originally from the East End of London, England.
I was also unaware that Hannah Westbury had remarried as I was under the impression that she continued to use the name Hannah Westbury widow, when she died at Long Jetty NSW 1952?
So how do you fit into the Westbury family, Steve? and who was Colin Westbury's father? Also do you know how old was Hannah Westbury when she died in 1952?
Hope this is of some use?  Cheers Grahame

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 14 October 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame

My Grandfathers dad was Robert Alexander Westbury born 1891 Leeches Gully, Tenterfield he married May Elizabeth Werner 1914 Newcastle , Colin was born 1915 Newcastle he married Dorothy Ellen Smith 1940 Tamworth ,they had a daughter Diane Westbury born 1943 she married my dad Alan Hayward 1959 Coopernook ....i Stephen Hayward born 1962 Taree....Johns 1st wife was born Mary Ann Page she married Thomas Kilmister 28th sept 1841 Wiltshire......Thomas 15 and Frances 13  Kilmister came out to Australia with them in 1858....it has John Westbury marrying Hannah on the 1 st of September 1876 Wesleyan church Tenterfield.....says he was 52 and she was 21 .......on Johns Death cert ...died 3rd March 1894 Leeches Gully...it says his children on death cert were ...Richard 15 ,William 13 ,Thomas 10,Eliza 9,Elizabeth 7,Sarah 4 and Robert 3......the informant Hannah Westbury has no mention of James born 1873 and John born 1876.....it has James Westbury age 85 when he died Mascot ...puts him around the 1872 /73 when born..it says Tenterfield place of birth......i will have to check with my mum re the will reading in the 1950s ....for some reason i thought it was a uncle not Hannahs as she was the mother of all of them Westbury or not......ill have a read through my records and talk to my mum ...thanks for info ..
regards Steve