Author Topic: Joan Wickstead (1921-1941?) No trace  (Read 1240 times)

Offline elinor14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joan Wickstead (1921-1941?) No trace
« on: Monday 27 August 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hello!
Bit of a newbie here but I've exhausted all avenues in searching for what happened to my great-aunt.
We know that she was born to John Thomas Wickstead (1880-1924) and Mary Sheridan (1886-1924) in 1921:
Births Mar 1921
Wickstead    Joan    Sheridan    Toxteth P.    8b   255
However as her parents both died within a week of eachother in 1924 when she was only 3, we don't know what happened to her after that. There is talk of her being put in the care of her aunt Rachel Hughes (b.1889 nee Wickstead) and her husband, but the 1939 register has a black 'this record is closed' line across a third member in the household (as far as we know Rachel and William Hughes had no children of their own so we think this might be her). I've searched for marriage and death records but none of them match the stories I've heard from now deceased family members. Is there any way I could see if her name might have been changed to that of her guardian? I've found a family tree with her in it on a website but they have it listed that she died in 1941 despite there being no record of this, and when contacted the owner had heard from family members that she had died in childbirth at the age of 20, in which the child survived. However again I cannot find any record of this.
I'm sorry if this is just a spam of information or I've posted in the wrong place, but please if anyone has any tips let me know. It would be much appreciated as I seem to have hit a brick wall with this one!

Elinor

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Wickstead (1921-1941?) No trace
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
There are 4 babies born MMN Wickstead 1941, one a female registered North Liverpool.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
Can't find a death with same surname as Liverpool baby.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline elinor14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi!
Thank you for your reply, yes I'd seen that but for them to have different surnames that would mean she would have had to have been married to the father wouldn't it? Or would they have the fathers surname if born out of wedlock? Because I can't find any marriage records for a Joan Wickstead in the right time frame?

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Boy registered South Liverpool MMN Wickstead again no death of female with that surname 1941
GEDmatch M157477

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
If she died in 1941 as Joan Wickstead, her 1939 register entry shouldn't be redacted as it was still being updated until 1991.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
She may have married elsewhere, both children from the Liverpool area have Irish surnames. She may have also taken the name of her guardians.

Have you checked that there wasn't a birth to the couple you found on the 1939 register.

Family tales aren't always 100% true, could it be she went abroad during or after the war. She may have joined one of the services or become a land girl etc. Lots of young woman ended up marrying foreign servicemen, possibly married after emigration.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
Sometimes it's possible to get an inkling of a redacted name if there are any "tails" of letters ( such as g, j, p, q or y) spilling over on to the line below.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline elinor14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
By all accounts she was a sickly girl so not likely to have gone abroad. The couple in the 1939 register (her aunt and uncle) don't appear to have had any children either