Author Topic: Roland H Dibnah, RCAF  (Read 786 times)

Offline paja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roland H Dibnah, RCAF
« on: Monday 27 August 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help me with Roland Dibnah of Winnipeg, who was a Flight Lieutenant in the RCAF based in the UK during WW2.  He married Frances Younghusband in 1945, and they returned to Winnipeg after the war.  A son was born in 1949.

A separate record notes 19-yr old Roland Harold Dibnah (a printer) arrived in Liverpool from Quebec in May 1939 on the SS Athenia.  I am cautiously connecting these two people.

My interest is in tracing his ancestors, to discover how the name crossed the Atlantic, and when.

TIA, Peter

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roland H Dibnah, RCAF
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:03 BST (UK) »

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List - 1972 - (2432 cOttawa Avenue) Capilano - Roland H Dibnah - (supervisor) Frances Dibnah (housewife) and 2 males "C" (student) and "K" (draughtsman)

same address as death certificate

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline paja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the quick response, the death certificate information links him with the data that I already have, and places him in my tree.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Father Richard arrived in Canada 27 Apr 1913. He was going to his brother in Winnipeg Manitoba who had apparently been farming in Canada for 7 years. Richard's occupation in England was Brass Finisher. He was going to take up farming in Canada.

Richard subsequently signed up in WW1. This link is to his entire digitized service record. It is very slow to download....78 pages. Includes marriage to Lucy and birth of a child.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B2502-S042

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Eric Dibnah in the Winnipeg Tribune, August 23 1943. 

Eric Dibnah, 26, died at the residence of his father Richard Dibnah, 44 Princess Street.  He was born in England and came to Canada at the age of 5.  He was educated here at Victoria Albert and Sir Hugh John MacDonald schools.  He had been working with the Hudsons Bay Company in the N.W.T. for the last 5 years.  He had been ill for 2 weeks. 

Besides his parents, he is survived by 2 brothers, Flt-Lt Roland H, with the RAF in England, and Norman, and a sister Mrs Ethel Roney.  Burial at Brookside Cemetery.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Richard and Lucy are also in Brookside Cemetery.  Richard died 14 April 1961.  Lucy died 8 April 1967.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/639375/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=dibnah&page=1#sr-111513369

RK