Author Topic: Learoyd - Coventry 1939  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Coventry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Learoyd - Coventry 1939
« on: Monday 27 August 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace information about a Frederick J Learoyd who appears in the 1939 Census. Born 8 March 1895 and apparently married to a Mary Ann Learoyd but this I know not to be true as Mary's name was Mary Ann Davis at the time. Frederick and Mary were living at 13/3 Jordan Well, Coventry and Mary died on 14 November 1940 in the Blitz.

Mary moved from the Stourbridge area to Coventry so it may be that Frederick was from that area too.

Deakin, Tanser, Tansur, Hirons, Drew, Ward, Tayler, Pownall
Currently researching the men commemorated on the war memorial, Broadway, who died in the First World War

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Learoyd - Coventry 1939
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Is there a hyphen in the surname?  Entry looks like Le Aroyd and has been indexed as that

When did he die and is the name hyphenated on his death reg?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Coventry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 06:54 BST (UK) »
Is there a hyphen in the surname?  Entry looks like Le Aroyd and has been indexed as that

When did he die and is the name hyphenated on his death reg?

I haven't been able to trace any birth, marriage or death records for a Frederick J Learoyd or Le-Aroyd at all.

So far he is a complete mystery.

???
Currently researching the men commemorated on the war memorial, Broadway, who died in the First World War

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
You have to remember that the 1939 register was not a snapshot in time but was kept updated over the subsequent years so reflects changes of name etc.
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Coventry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
You have to remember that the 1939 register was not a snapshot in time but was kept updated over the subsequent years so reflects changes of name etc.
Peter

Mary Ann (nee Hirons) died on 14 November 1940 and her death was recorded as Mary Ann Davis which was her correct name at the time having been married to Wallace Davis since 1924. She is commemorated on the Civilian War Memorial in Coventry having died at 13/3 Jordan Well, Coventry that night. 13/3 Jordan Well was where she was living at at the time the register was taken (I understand that she moved to Coventry from Cradley early in 1939). Wallace appears in the 1939 Register at her previous address in Cradley.

I haven't been able to trace any records at all of a Frederick J. Learoyd or Le-Aroyd. It would seem that Mary assumed his surname for the register.  ???

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Is Frederick the informant on Mary's death cert?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 August 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
From a 1938 article in the Coventry Evening Telegraph Frederick John Learoyd was known as "Titanic Jack" as a result of his being a survivor of the sinking of the Titanic, when he was a 16 year old cabin boy. He made a living giving talks at fairgrounds etc on his experience.
After the disaster he returned to his home town of Hull and set up a business as a travelling fruiterer but that business failed.
In the 1930s he moved to Coventry but travelled daily to Birmingham where he had a stall in the Bull Ring selling horoscopes.
He was married but his wife died shortly after the birth of their second child.

Reading between the lines I would say FJL was a professional Bull S****er so I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 August 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Can’t see his name in the on line list of crew on the Titanic
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Coventry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 October 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
From a 1938 article in the Coventry Evening Telegraph Frederick John Learoyd was known as "Titanic Jack" as a result of his being a survivor of the sinking of the Titanic, when he was a 16 year old cabin boy. He made a living giving talks at fairgrounds etc on his experience.
After the disaster he returned to his home town of Hull and set up a business as a travelling fruiterer but that business failed.
In the 1930s he moved to Coventry but travelled daily to Birmingham where he had a stall in the Bull Ring selling horoscopes.
He was married but his wife died shortly after the birth of their second child.

Reading between the lines I would say FJL was a professional Bull S****er so I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Thank you! I'm so sorry I have only just seen your reply! That would fit in with what one of my Aunt's told me that Mary was living with a survivor of the Titanic when she died. I have also searched the records of the Titanic and was unable to match his name with any of those listed.

Do you know when/where he was married and to whom? As I have only just seen your post I haven't as yet done any research myself so will follow this up.

Mary died the night of the Blitz on 14th November and I had been unable to ascertain whether Frederick survived or was killed. Mary also travelled daily to Birmingham to work in one of the munitions factories.

Thanks again for this great info.