Author Topic: Marriage Lookup - William Garner  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Marriage Lookup - William Garner
« on: Monday 27 August 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering if anyone had access to the parish records or resources for Arnold. 

I am trying to establish where the parties were from in respect of a marriage between William Garner and Elizabeth Davinson on 24/11/1794 at Arnold.

I am hoping that the entry, witnesses or perhaps the banns may help further.

Any detail greatly appreciated.

Regards

TB

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup - William Garner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
The record is on Freereg, it would normally contain the type of information you need but there is none.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Just to add, another marriage.
Nottingham, St Mary
8 Jun 1802 William Garner and Elizabeth Davison

The couple seem to be baptising children at the same church, But there is also an earlier set of children baptised there, starting in 1795. So you seem to  have 2 sets of Garner parents both baptising children in St Marys
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking at this.

I am trying to establish the correct marriage for William and Elizabeth Garner found in Long Whatton in 1841, aged about 75.

They are living with or next to some of their children Elizabeth Fox nee Garner aged abt 30 and William Garner aged abt 35.  Hannah aged abt 20 appears to be their granddaughter according to the 1851 census, illegitimate daughter of their daughter Dorothy (born abt 1802).

Elizabeth Garner is not born in County and lists Bilstrip, Nottinghamshire (Bilsthorpe?) as place of birth in 1851.  William is born in County and is likely to be from Long Whatton as there are several generations of Garners going back.  He dies in 1848.

Daughter Elizabeth is having family with her husband Joseph in Lowdham and appears to be visiting her parents with a young daughter Hannah and baby daughter Frances.

I had thought that the marriage was the one between William Garner and Elizabeth Cook in Long Whatton in 1783, although as you note there are a William and Elizabeth Garner having children in Nottingham from 1795 and no obvious children for this 1783 couple in Long Whatton or Nottingham before hand.  The baptisms of the Nottingham children appear to tie with the children listed with or adjacent to the Garners in 1841, so I think they are probably right. 

However, in the absence of any children from the 1783 William and Elizabeth Garner (Thomas Cook the father of that Elizabeth makes reference to an Elizabeth Garner wife of William in his Long Whatton will of 1792 so she was still around then) I wondered if a marriage just before the 1795 baptisms in Nottingham was more plausible - i.e.  the 1794 Arnold one.

To further complicate things there is a marriage for William Garner from Long Whatton and Elizabeth Henson in Ruddington, Notts in 1796.  However, this couple baptise a daughter Tabitha there in 1797 at the same time that the Nottingham couple are baptising a child so they look to be different couples.

With that extra information can anyone help provide a link to the right marriage?

Regards

TB

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
The matching names for the 1794 marriage in Arnold and the 1802 in Nottingham is very coincidental - William Garner and Elizabeth Davison.

I wonder if they got married twice....

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Truebrit,

I can have a look at the marriages for you when I next in Nottingham Archives. Freereg doesn't always give all details.

Nottsgirl1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
Thank-you, that would be much appreciated.

Regards

TB

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 August 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Baptism Bilsthorpe
28 Oct 1768 Elizth dau of John & Dorothy DAVISON  ( Named her eldest daughter for her mother?)

Baptism Nottingham, St Mary
8 Jun 1802 Dorothy dau of William & Elizabeth Garner
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 August 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that sounds very promising!

It would be interesting to see if the Arnold marriage/banns in 1794 yield any clues.  And what of the Nottingham marriage in 1802 - an error or a second marriage?

Regards

TB