Author Topic: Do australian Birth indexs show Mother's maiden name?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Do australian Birth indexs show Mother's maiden name?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 07:23 BST (UK) »
 I think I am back to a missing husband and a wife who remarried three times in OXFORDSHIRE At least i can quote records for her and leave Samuel Clark in Australia as a myster for now.
FACTS
1877 September 24th Hampton Poyle
CLARKE, Frederick, bach, cabinet maker, South Banbury  father: Samuel, carter
GILES,   Martha Hawkins, spin, servent   father: John, Lab
wits: Richard GILES, Jane GILES

1881 RG11/1530 fo 87 p32 Frederick CLARK 26 from Weston on the Green

baptism Weston on the Green  Frederick CLARK son of Samuel and Eliza 4 MAR 1855

MARRIAGE 2 Oct 1854 Samuel CLARK and Eliza Hatherway Weston on the Green His father Joseph CLARKE

It does look like Samuel fits the son of JOSEPH and Eliza WESTBURY and that poits to the Paddington marriage
HERE WE GO AROUND AGAIN ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
one tree has NO supporting references, not even INDEX ones ... and that one has Mary Amelia MILLER as born Yass, NSW 28 Feb 1861.  Her dad is noted as Thomas BAINES (1832-1904) and her mum as Eliza HATHAWAY (1833-1898) Thomas and Eliza apparently married in about 1854, and one of their sons was born 5 March 1855, Bicester, Oxfordshire, England.  That son's name was Frederick Jones (Clarke).     Remembering that Mary Amelia Miller is a full sister to Frederick Jones (Clarke) and she was born 28 Feb 1861 at Yass, NSW Australia,  ... well, Frederick Jones (Clarke) is apparently on the UK Census for 1861...  along with a 1 month old brother, John Clarke... and others too, with their Mum, Eliza Clarke,  charwoman, and her father, a Widower, John HATHAWAY...  Church Lane, Weston on the Green...   :)   (John Clarke listed as grandson to head of household)   

So there's the confusion .... Mary Amelia MILLER born Feb 1861 in NSW Australia has a full brother, John CLARKE aged just one month, in England with his mum as per the 1861 Census ...  taken 7 April 1861 .... 

What an experience for that mum .... flying on her own accord, without an aeroplane .... from Yass to Weston on the Green without her baby Mary Amelia, to have her next baby John just a month after Mary Amelia, and half a world away.   ::)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Confusing boy it can only get worse, What started me looking at this family...I am trying to write small pieces about various occupations we have found on our tree and at the moment i am looking at Police Officers. one of these was Frederick Giles who happens to be the brother of the Martha Giles who married Frederick CLARK.I had already found their siblings and was curious to see if any others were in the Police Force little did I think I'd stumble over this interesting scenario
On the 1881 census Frederick and Martha CLARK have two daughters and a brother in law Walter JONES with them he turns out to be the son of Eliza nee HATHERWAY, Frederick's mother and her second husband she was widowed and married a third time to Thomas BAINES I don't think Eliza ever left Oxfordshire

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
 :)

Yes,  Unlikely Eliza travelled to New South Wales. Someone's "research" is flawed and sadly the online organisation does not seem to have prompts to stall uploads for such flawed details...

Your thoroughness in checking and starting this thread has not found your Corporal but I wonder if a thread on the Armed Forces board may turn up some tips ... HMS Iris ... New Zealand, Australia, 1850s 1860s ... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 04:43 BST (UK) »
Are you sure his ship was HMS IRIS looking at TROVE at the issue you have pointed out I see the word " Caesar." just above his entry  was this his ship?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 04:53 BST (UK) »
NSW Police Gazette   No. 80  Thursday 6 October 1859.

SEAMEN DESERTERS
JM notes .... and a list of these, as per vessels they have deserted from
and noting "Warrants issued"
and then another heading as under: 

STRAGGLERS 
From Her Majesty's Ship "Iris"
Henry Blackman .....
Samuel Clarke, Corporal R.M. 22 years 6 months old, native of Chesterton, Oxford 5 feet 7 inches high, dark brown hair, blue eyes.
George Pooley ...
A reward of £1 each is offered for their apprehension
Jno McLerie, Inspector General of Police...

So, no warrants issued on the Stragglers  ;D

JM

I typed up from the Police Gazette,  the stragglers were listed alphabetically by surname under name of the ship  :)
Henry Blackman (and then all his details)
Samuel Clarke (and then all his details which I typed up)
George Pooley (and then all his details)

Are you sure his ship was HMS IRIS looking at TROVE at the issue you have pointed out I see the word " Caesar." just above his entry  was this his ship?

Can you please post a link to that Trove sighting ...  :)  I was not typing up from Trove, but from NSW Police Gazette ...  :)

JM

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 05:02 BST (UK) »
Caesar was Henry Blackman’s former ship. Nothing to do with Clarke.

Last column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article228602063

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
agh ... NSW Government Gazette link to page 2206  7 October 1859.   ... different from NSW Police Gazette.

attaching snip, top of the page, right hand column.   

Thanks JJ  :)  Well found  :)   

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 05:18 BST (UK) »
two stragglers ordered back on board HMS Iris
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/64091616 19 October 1859 Empire.

Thomas Wallace, straggler rdered back to HMS Iris
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/64092279 2 November 1859 Empire

Straggler from a different ship (straggling for 18 months !) sent on board HMS Iris, along with a Thomas Wallett (so likely a misprint for Wallace !) https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13032586 2 November 1859, SMH

:)  :)  :)

JM