Author Topic: WITHERS of Combe Hay area  (Read 785 times)

Offline suzmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WITHERS of Combe Hay area
« on: Tuesday 28 August 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find some information on the Withers side of my family. Here's what I have so far (I've checked this repeatedly and I'm reasonably sure it's correct):

Winifred WITHERS (1762-1835) m John Green
William WITHERS (1743-1805) m Hester Durnell
Joseph WITHERS (1715-1756) m Catherine Merchant
John WITHERS (1675-1751) m Margarett Smyth

In case it's not clear, each person I've listed is the child of the predecessor, i.e. Winifred is the daughter of William and so on.

The later generations definitely lived around the Combe Hay area.

There was some indication that John was possibly connected to a Withers family who emigrated to the USA (although the line I descend from stayed in the UK), but although this shows up on people's Ancestry trees there is no hard evidence to support it.

It's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone had any information. I've been in contact with Bath archives but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re: WITHERS of Combe Hay area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 02:40 BST (UK) »
I found only two entries on the Combe Hay Marriages transcripts I have, and they are as follows.

Joseph WITHERS married Charity APPLEBY on the 13th February 1788.
Elizabeth WITHERS married William COOMBS of Wellow on the 29th May 1795.

Hope they are yours.

Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
I am descended from the same Combe Hay family, through John and Margaret's son John b1703. Some of the later generations had large families and spread throughout North Somerset and beyond. I only know of one who went to the US - a brother of my greatgrandfather - but there could well be others. (The evidence for that is quite hard - my grandfather could remember his uncle coming back to visit. If there is a weak link it is further back. It was first researched by a distant cousin a couple of generations back. He apparently had good evidence through Land Tax documents but I haven't seen it.)

I haven't looked at this part of the family for a long time, but I agree on the line you suggest (except it's Walter not William). I don't seem to have ever found a birth/baptism record for Winifred, but Walter was a witness at her wedding so it is certainly plausible that he was her father. I'm afraid I don't have any more info about your branch.

David

Offline suzmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Of course you are right, yes it is Walter. I must have been trying to research someone called William Withers at the time I wrote this post.

David, do you know whether John Withers had a son called William? I also wondered if John had any titles; I wrote (Captain?) underneath his name on the tree. I think however that I may be confusing him with a different John Withers, to whom I'm not related.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
As far as I know the earliest John did not have a son William. (My line goes John - John - John - William (b.1789) but I assume that's not the one you mean.) All my Withers were farmers, I don't know of any sailors.

David