Author Topic: Braunston in Rutland Jonathan Spencer  (Read 1509 times)

Offline tutor7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Braunston in Rutland Jonathan Spencer
« on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I found an article in Stamford Mercury dated 5th Feb 1802 about Jonathan Spencer (senior).

It mentions that "any Creditors of Jonathan Spencer in Braunston, Rutland are hereby informed that a statement of his affairs will be laid before such as them who choose to attend at a meeting to be held at the house of Mrs Ann Green, known by the sign of the Red Lion in Oakham, on Saturday 20th Feb 1802 for that purpose."

I am assuming that this refers to his death and relates to debts... and for people to attend the meeting to claim from his estate.

The PROBLEM is I can't find any record of his burial. Is there anyone who lives near Braunston in Rutland OR Leics Record Office, who may be able to check burials or grave stones at Braunston for him?

He was born in 1758.

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help me. It is very much appreciated.
Tutor7

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Braunston in Rutland Jonathan Spencer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
If he had died the article would probably have described him as 'the late Jonathan Spencer.'

Norfolk Chronicle 14 August 1802 and other papers:
 There is an article stating that Jonathan Spencer, alias John Smith, had stolen 45 sheep and as many lambs in Braunston. If the same person, he was sentenced to death at Oakham assizes.

However, there is an amount of correspondence on Findmypast and it seems that he was reprieved and transported to New South Wales

David

Offline tutor7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Braunston in Rutland Jonathan Spencer
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

The other Jonathan Spencer who stole the sheep was his son, Jonathan Spencer Junior.
I do have all those documents referring to him thank you.

It's just a mystery as to what happened to his father. I know his mother, Frances Spencer moved to Langham in Rutland around 1802-1803 and died there in 1827.

I just haven't found any records for burials in Rutland or Leics for him... or a will. They were a wealthy family but I assume from the newspaper article that the fortune was lost.
Thanks
tutor7