Author Topic: William Smith b 1891/2 Army record help  (Read 2402 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith b 1891/2 Army record help
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
For the record, his unit in the absent voters record was 112 Anti-Aircraft Section Royal Garrison Artillery which was neither a Siege nor Heavy Battery (although there were both a 112 Siege Battery and a 112 Heavy Battery).  In the course of the war sections were formed into batteries that were give letters rather than numbers.  There is no war diary for 112 AA Section or clue as to what battery it ended with - not that that would do any good anyway!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 September 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
I see there is a tree on Ancestry perhaps yours which has a photo of William & Doris with him in uniform perhaps that might help with unit,
As he left in 1933 because of Doris taking up with another man he might have made sure he wasn't found as it is Smith is a difficult name to find I know having tried find some in my own tree. Still I find keep trying and you never know, have you tried the 1939 register?
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 September 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Registration district:
West Ham
Registration District Number:
Sub-registration district:
South East Ham
ED, institution, or vessel:
Household schedule number:
Piece:

have you looked at this 1911 census for William Smith b abt 1893 father George
right area
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk