Author Topic: Mcateers' of Co Tyrone  (Read 4516 times)

Offline virsonlia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mcateers' of Co Tyrone
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
if I return to marriage of Margaret McAteer to William James Lemon-Margaret's father listed as carpenter.
is it your opinion that if I choose to look for James' father William that I might develop a better timeline?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
10/09/1891
Mary McAteer, aged 90 years,widow of farmer,death  registered by her son William James McAteer

12/2/1883,
aged 70 ,William McAteer, farmer  married death registered by son William James McAteer
no further information on this William James McAteer
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Yes we need to find James father and of course his possible baptism
there are quite a few McAteers in Dungannon,they may or may not be related,
Griffith land tax records do record a William in the area in the 1850's
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline virsonlia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Wonderful Radcliff. I have had some luck not much with Baptisms. I have sought LDS online with some success. My experience with co Tyrone records is sketchy. Perhaps contacting the churches is a better option.
do you know if individuals nowadays use this as a source?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Proni is possibly your best route for th church records

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
I have to say I have never researched in Tyrone before but I have enjoyed helping you on your way

Offline virsonlia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
To think that strangers would assist to the degree you and your partners have I am grateful.Initially I was unsure of asking people for their time and expertise  in my personal research.   I shall continue on course more prepared than I  ever thought.

Thanks for the guidance Radcliff

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 30 August 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
whilst looking around I spotted this book,and thought you might like to get a copy if you can on loan from a library as the only one coming up for sale on Amazon is £109.00

Guide to sources for researching McAteer families in Ireland ,by Shane McAteer and Brian Trainor

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 30 August 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Going back through all the snippets I have concerns about the age of Dorothea in the census and at her death,as surely she could not have been seven years old when she married James McAteer