Author Topic: Jewish birth record Berlin  (Read 848 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish birth record Berlin
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 September 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Is this Marriane Kuh in the 1839 register index?

Marieannna Kuh    born 1894

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
Marianne 'Mitzi' ws indeed born 1894, 30 of January

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
Yes I looked up Wim van Leer just after I posted. My mum got his trade wrong. Pretty incredible stuff. He has a book that mentions Marianne which I'm tempted to see if I can get. His story is very brave, I'd like to know more about him for sure. Eva still lives in Welwyn Garden City after all this time. I've never met her, I should probably visit

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 September 18 03:45 BST (UK) »
Going back to your question about sponsorship. I would need to check, but I believe that the British government was not prepared to accept the financial burden of a flood of refugees, so they imposed the requirement that sponsorship and a job in the UK was required. It was pretty much left to private individuals to express the willingness to take in a refugee.

This is why one finds many unaccompanied Jewish women working as housekeepers in the 1939 register. My mother's parents employed one such women.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 September 18 05:10 BST (UK) »
Doesn't sound like a very nice life for some of the Jewish Austrian Ladies! Even if they survived WW2

http://centraleuropeaneconomicandsocialhistory.com/maid-servants-in-england-austrian-jewish-women-in-emigration-193839

" It may be estimated that perhaps only one in ten succeeded in gaining entry, depending on the profession."
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys. Im trying to track down my granddads records. im finding the birth certificate search a struggle so im thinking the death record should be a lot easier.

all i know is Michael Stone
Death:   April 20, 1993 (70)
Berlin, Berlin, Germany

I do not know the neighbourhood. Can someone help me/ point me in the right direction please?