Author Topic: Jewish birth record Berlin  (Read 4671 times)

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish birth record Berlin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
I might wait for them to respond before I visit the archive. I see his two sisters there as well. I imagine his Aunt will be there too... Will have to look up her married name. Thanks

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Corin,

Michael's birth would have been recorded at the local registry office like any other birth. There was no separate civil register for the Jews. It may also have been recorded in a Jewish register maintained by the Jewish community of Berlin.

Civil records from that era are held at:

Landesarchiv Berlin
Eichborndamm 115 - 121, D-13403 Berlin
Telefon: ++49 (0)30 90 264 - 0
E-Mail: info@landesarchiv.berlin.de

Because Michael was born less than 110 years ago, you will have to prove that you are a direct relative to be able to obtain his birth cert.

I also found the names and dates of birth of Marianne's siblings, but I believe that you already have those.

As neither of his parents were German citizens and he was illegitimate anyway, he would have been regarded as an Austrian citizen based on the nationality of his mother.

Justin

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Justin, great help and insight.
Yes I know all about Marianne family. Our family mystery concerned his dad's family but after two years research I finally unravelled that.

So he would most likely be Austrian... Or pretty much definitely?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 August 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
When did Micheal Kuh leave Germany?

"The lists of Jews deprived of citizenship lists were compiled and indexed, and, after 1959, they were available for research at the Berlin Document Center. There are also lists of Jews who fled Germany, first to France or Vienna, and then to Spain"

His birth would be registered in Berlin but even if he was considered an Austrian citizen his Jewish blood would have lost him German citizenship. He would have perhaps reclaimed it after WW2?

Wonder if his mother is on this list?
Wonder if there are simmilar lists in Austria to explore?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Citizenship_Project

Maybe you could try to reclaim German citizenship, if they grant it, then someone in your ancestry must have been considered to be a German national.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 August 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
He left Germany in 1933/4 for Vienna. Then to England 1938/9.
At the moment I'm assuming he was an Austrian citizen. He did not claim/reclaim German citizenship when he returned to live there. I thought it was safety thing, having his British passport and new surname. Maybe he had no rights to German citizenship

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 August 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Corin,

I'm wrong about the location of the birth records for 1922. They will still be held at the registry office (Standesamt) where the birth was registered. If you can establish Alexander's and Marianne's address, it will be easy to determine which Standesamt would have been responsible.

The Landesarchiv in Berlin should be able to help by searching in the Einwohnermeldekartei (Card Index of Residents' Registration). Here is the application form in English:
http://landesarchiv-berlin.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Vordruck-EMK-Englisch.pdf

Alexander was not listed in the Berlin address directories until 1930 (Eichhornstrasse 20, Reinickendorf). Marianne was listed separately at the same address in 1931 and 1932. By 1933, they had moved to Rixdorferstrasse 109 in Mariendorf.

You could always chance it and write to

Standesamt Berlin Reinickendorf
E-Mail: E-Mail Standesamt@Reinickendorf.berlin.de

Michael had no entitlement to German citizenship as his mother was not a German citizen.

Justin

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 31 August 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Whiteout7
If Michael was German I could have claimed citizenship but its looking very unlikely. When I can find his Austrian Citizenship my mother can claim it though I won't be able to.

Justin you're a legend!! Thanks for your help. I just emailed them on the off chance. I will check the address directory fully soon. I did just see Alexander's dad on there from 1883 W (Wilhelm) Solomonica interestingly. Maybe a business address, I know his business took around Romania, Germany and Austria. Cool to see though

Offline CorinStone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 August 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
1892 that is

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 August 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
Ok so was his Berlin birth also registered in Austria by his single Austrian mother/the authorities, the records seem to be kept in Vienna

"Records of citizenship are kept by the competent local authorities:

a) Persons born before 1 July 1966:

*in case of birth in Austria, the local authority of the place of birth

* in case of birth in a foreign country, the City of Vienna"

http://www.austria.org/citizenship/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)