Author Topic: Harry Fould(e)s in Sheffield  (Read 699 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
Harry Fould(e)s in Sheffield
« on: Tuesday 28 August 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

So I am following an offshoot and have a couple of new queries. I was following my ancestor George Fould(e)s born in Bramcote n 1872 son of James & Sarah.

In 1881 (age 9) and 1891 (age 19) George is living with parents in Sheffield.

Now between the censuses a bit seems to have happened.

I believe George married a Mary (don't know if I can find her surname without certificate unless anyone can point me to church/chapel records? It might give me an exact date too) in Sheffield in 1893. I then think Harry was born in 1894.

I think George died in 1896 age 24 as Harry (age 7) is living with his grandparents James and Sarah in 1901.
In 1911 James "Fowles" is not with Sarah (she must have died) and him and Harry "Fowles" are boarding with a couple in Sheffield. I think James dies in 1913 and Harry marries a Butterell (can anyway help with what is her first name?) in 1916 (again would the date be anywhere?).

I can then find a Harry aged 40 dies in 1934.

Now this is loosely pieced together so I might be way off! A lot to take in and I am probably wrong in places as it is late. But thank you in advance anyone can add extra! I think I have it as right as I can but it is always good to check fresh eyes.

Thanks all
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Fould(e)s in Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
Harry marries a Butterell (can anyway help with what is her first name?) in 1916

FreeBMD has this:
Marriage Mar qtr 1916 Sheffield vol 9c p936 FOULDES Harry, BUTTERELL Ethel

If you have the name and year of a birth before Sep qtr 1911 then the General Register Office will list the mother's maiden name - it's free to register and search.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
I believe George married a Mary (don't know if I can find her surname without certificate unless anyone can point me to church/chapel records? It might give me an exact date too) in Sheffield in 1893. I then think Harry was born in 1894.

Have you not checked freebmd for a marriage?  Use same site to look for son's birth then follow instructions given by Philip above to determine mothers maiden name

www.freebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 00:23 BST (UK) »
Possibly:

(FreeBMD)
Marriage Jun qtr 1893 Sheffield vol 9c p763 FOULDES George, same page as HADFIELD Mary

(General Register Office)
Birth registered Mar qtr 1894 Eccleshall Bierlow vol 9c p763 FOULDES Harry mmn HADFIELD.
Birth registered Dec qtr 1897 Sheffield vol 9c p498 FOULDES Thomas Baker mmn HADFIELD.
Death Dec qtr 1897 Sheffield vol 9c p264 FOULDES Thomas Baker.

Philip

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
George Fouldes aged 21 (hairdresser) married Mary Hadfield aged 23, at St James, Sheffield,
on the 2nd April 1893. Both of Broad Lane.

George's father James, was a wheelwright, and Mary's father Henry was a metal smith.

Witness' William Swinden and Annie Hadfield.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.UK

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you all - I will print these off and have a look at what you have suggested tonight.  Thanks again - I am always impressed with how quickly you can find these things!

Oh yes I was looking through the free BMD last night so made a few notes already.
Many thanks
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
I am always impressed with how quickly you can find these things!

Ah, if only my own brick walls could be broken quickly!

You are most welcome  :)
Philip

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Ahh was trying to find where on GRO you could find marriage listing as I could only see that you could search for births and deaths! Then found you can only search for marriages on Free BMD!

As I say, a learning curve!

MJ