Author Topic: Scotlandspeople website Query  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotlandspeople website Query
« on: Wednesday 29 August 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else found they've been asked to pay to see an image that they'd already paid to view?

My Yorkshire and Scottish genes hate to open my purse for something I've already bought.  :(

I used to use scotlandspeople regularly, including the Wills/Probate site that eventually amalgamated with scotlandspeople and had umpteen downloads and even more searches which this newly organised website doesn't appear to reflect.

I don't like the new website but as I'm returning to a blank wall I needed to view a previously downloaded image.  It took me ages to discover it wasn't in my viewed images and I've been asked to pay more credits to view. :-\

To save my blood pressure climbing ever higher, and to save the lives of my offspring, I request no charitable rootschatter suggest that I should have made backups and/or hard copies.

tsk - just the slightest thought of all the ills that have befallen my hard endeavours crouched over a computer for thousands of hours and spending hard earned cash for nought requires me to go lay down in a dark calm space.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlandspeople website Query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
I suggest that you contact SP and ask them. Unlike me and other RootsChatters, they can actually do something about it, and if it's a systematic error and they correct it, it might help other people in future.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
I've just checked a couple of my saved images and can view as paid.
I did the searches again and they were noted as . (paid).

Personally I think the new website has some advantages, such as you used to pay 1 credit to see if you had the right one, then 5 to view. Now you see all the alternatives without the need to spend 1 credit.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Has anyone else found they've been asked to pay to see an image that they'd already paid to view?

My Yorkshire and Scottish genes hate to open my purse for something I've already bought.  :(

To save my blood pressure climbing ever higher, and to save the lives of my offspring, I request no charitable rootschatter suggest that I should have made backups and/or hard copies.

Hello Rena

Not wanting to make your blood boil, but you did have to institute the save process on Scotlands People.

Now to ensure they also save on the Scotlands People in your folder, there is a specific button to press, as they may not save automatically it seems.

I had an enforced break from Scotlands People, because I had no Scots to look at for a while and didn't wish to buy more credits and if I didn't buy more credits it was claimed I would lose existing credits.

I worked out my login and logged in recently, my old credits and every single image I had ever saved to my own pc for many years (right back to when I first joined) were still there on SP.

Also you are asked now somewhere on the page if you also wish to save on their site, but never trust anyone's site to save your images, I do save them on SP, but also to my own pc too.

PS I hate paying twice too!

Take care, Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

I did lose a couple of previously paid for and saved images from the system when the change over happened. These were images from way back when. I contacted them and was given a generous number of credits.

Contrary to what Bushinn has said, I've found that  a viewed image is automatically saved by the system. I had many pages of them.  It's just the searches that have to be saved manually and given a title.

I suggest that you contact them and explain the problem. They are really very helpful.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 17:34 BST (UK) »

Contrary to what Bushinn has said, I've found that  a viewed image is automatically saved by the system. I had many pages of them.  It's just the searches that have to be saved manually and given a title.

I suggest that you contact them and explain the problem. They are really very helpful.

About 14 years of images were saved automatically on my SP account, when I saved and named each of them to my own pc.

On the SP page now, I am also being asked to save them on SP, so I agree to save on SP too.

As Gadget suggests have a word with SP, their PC people might be able to retrieve those you have paid for?

Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
I've just looked and find I  have 557 pages of saved images: the first dated 30 July 2003  :o

I don't believe I saved any of them manually to the system, although they were always downloaded.

Lots of £££s.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
I have also just looked and have nearly 600 saved images(they just saved themselves!) which date back to 2004.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses everyone. 

I'd already contacted the site, giving outline details of what was on the inventory image, before I queried the situation on rootschat, but was curious to know if others had had the same experience.

On one former change of contractors a couple of my saved images were listed as saved/viewed but had dropped their descriptions.  I contacted SP who duly viewed and noted the situation but didn't insert the description.  Those previously viewed images are still in my viewed list as:-    "  -- "

Gadget - same situation with me - this image was viewed & downloaded years ago and since I made that massive Mackenzie breakthrough the other week I thought I might try to ride my luck again. 

I have come across some new information and am hoping to have the same luck with a David Marshall/John Crum and an Inkle Factory connection thus I'm needing the image, which lists several names, to make sure of ALL my facts.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke