Author Topic: Scotlandspeople website Query  (Read 3174 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlandspeople website Query
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
I have also just looked and have nearly 600 saved images(they just saved themselves!) which date back to 2004.

Thanks Carol,

My last post crossed with yours.

It seems like this missing image could be a blip in the system, as described in my last posting, I have experience of a previous blip. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

Just checked and my images seem to be there back to my first in 2003, but it does say this ...

"Your saved images are stored here for easy access. Personalise an image by adding your own description." and the very first image does still open up and I can resave it if I want to pc.

Perhaps Scotlands People has a glitch, and may be able to retrieve your original account?

----------

There are other complaints about other pay per view sites on Rootschat (not about SP) where Membership has lapsed and their saved images and information on the pay per view site have been lost, despite them still having a log-in.

Mark

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 21:06 BST (UK) »

I suggest that you contact them and explain the problem. They are really very helpful.

Gadget

I have found exactly that ... a week ago I went to look at one of my saved images, to be greeted with this message ... "Access denied : You are not authorized to access this page".

Was informed by them that this image is the only one of all my saved stuff  that was affected, and their team will get back to me.

Cheers
KHP

ADDED:  They even attached the image for me :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 August 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

Just checked and my images seem to be there back to my first in 2003, but it does say this ...

"Your saved images are stored here for easy access. Personalise an image by adding your own description." and the very first image does still open up and I can resave it if I want to pc.

Perhaps Scotlands People has a glitch, and may be able to retrieve your original account?

----------

There are other complaints about other pay per view sites on Rootschat (not about SP) where Membership has lapsed and their saved images and information on the pay per view site have been lost, despite them still having a log-in.

Mark

Thanks for checking Mark.

From the responses it appears to be just little old me that's experiencing a glitch.

I'm not too bothered about any other sites.  I do have a few records in ancestry's shoebox but as they don't really have many records of the English/Welsh areas that I'm interested in I don't use it much.  I might take out a subscription to ancestry if they include/increase their holdings of other areas and then by taking out a subscription I can access the savings in my shoebox.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 August 18 01:02 BST (UK) »

I suggest that you contact them and explain the problem. They are really very helpful.

Gadget

I have found exactly that ... a week ago I went to look at one of my saved images, to be greeted with this message ... "Access denied : You are not authorized to access this page".
Was informed by them that this image is the only one of all my saved stuff  that was affected, and their team will get back to me.
Cheers
KHP

ADDED:  They even attached the image for me :D

I'm encouraged by the response that you had KHP.  Hopefully I'll get an attachment with a reply too.
Cheers, Rena

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 August 18 08:54 BST (UK) »
One of the benefits of SP not being a subscription site, perhaps?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 August 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,
I've had a response from scotlandspeople and have just replied answering a couple of questions they asked.

I'm bad at remembering years unless I can link it to something that happened to me personally in that year.  Thus I can't recall when I joined SP or its partner site - I only remember ScottishOrigins were the first to be awarded the contract to upkeep the scotlandspeople website.   My computer was frazzled by lightning and earliest dates on my current computer don't even go as far back as the year I joined rootschat to assist with family history research.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 August 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
As hinted by others - I've now been given the 10 credits to replace the inventory of my father's gt.grandfather, John Crum nailer of Calton.

Before I spent the credits I decided to see if some other Wills/Testaments that I bought and downloaded were still listed.  They used to be listed but not anymore.  The nailer's son was John Crum stationer of Glasgow and he named my grandfather Andrew Stephenson Dalglish Crum.  One of the missing Wills linked my family to Lillias Dalglish (ms Crum) who named two cousins, one being John Crum stationer of Glasgow and another Crum, printer, living in Ayrshire.  I already had Lillias in my tree as being dau of William Crum who called himself a merchant in Glasgow but from his adverts looked more like an ironmonger's shop and he also was a son of John the nailer.

I thought my list of saved & paid for searches was rather short but wouldn't have known which specific purchased documents were missing if I hadn't decided to have another attempt at linking my family to some David Marshall and Millar families, which wasn't possible at my first attempt over a decade ago.

Onward and upward.