Author Topic: Nth & Sth St in 1851 census for East Lambrook area, Kingsbury Episcopi  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nth & Sth St in 1851 census for East Lambrook area, Kingsbury Episcopi
« on: Wednesday 29 August 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at old maps, seeking "Nth & Sth St", which is a designation in the 1851 census for the East Lambrook area of Somerset (in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish). There are about 10 pages of images showing this street, with Water Street on the next page going one way and Owl Street on the next page going the other way. I am baffled. Looking for some local expertise. Bill from Colorado USA.
Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Nth & Sth St in 1851 census for East Lambrook area, Kingsbury Episcopi
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 18 01:21 BST (UK) »
Both show up on Google Earth.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 18 02:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, but I am novice at Google Earth. I will take a look at it.
Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 August 18 07:28 BST (UK) »
This is an old map showing North and South Street that might help https://maps.nls.uk/view/101462353#zoom=4&lat=3140&lon=7269&layers=BT  However this appears to be in the wrong parish and  Owl Street is to the north - to the east of East Lambrook on modern maps and Water Steet on the south side of East Lambrook :-\

Both Owl Street and Water Street are shown on this old map https://maps.nls.uk/view/101462353#zoom=4&lat=3140&lon=7269&layers=BT  I wonder if there was a North and South Street in East Lambrook and it possibly changed pre the 1861 census  :-\   I see this map also shows Middle Street which is also an adjoining street on the 1851 census

Kay

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 August 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
You can see Owl Street and Water Street on this 1887 map "North Street and South Street" are not marked, but now the main north south street is called Silver Street, https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/343230/118861/12/100302
Water Street to the south is near East Lambrook Bridge, and Owl Street is to the north near Towns End.
If you click on the four arrows top right you can go into full screen mode.
Modern map https://goo.gl/maps/YzSHkphUoYN2
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 August 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Kay and Stan. Many thanks for your inputs and the map links. My best guess is that Silver Lane and its extension to the south of Lambrook Brook were probably the 1851 census era North and South Street. I do see a North Street and a South Street in South Pemberton, but the context is wrong in connection with the census. Bill

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
Kay and Stan - In British History Online, the section on Shepton Beauchamp Parish (which abuts the West Lambrook area of Kingsbury Episcopi Parish) explains the local street names: "The village street follows the shape of the contours in the centre of the parish, and is known during its course successively as Lambrook Road, North Street, Church Street, Sheepway, and Silver Street (after the former Little Silver field). In 1841 North Street was divided between Trade Street and East Street, and Sheepway was called South Street." British History Online seems not to have a section on Kingsbury Episcopi Parish. I was just lucky in bumping into the street name information. Bill