Author Topic: 50 year closure on Marriages  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: 50 year closure on Marriages
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 06 September 18 03:22 BST (UK) »
Re: 50 year closure, I was adopted and raised knowing who my real parents were. I always thought they were married in Victoria. One day I was searching for ancestor marriages on NSWBDM and up popped my parents’ marriage in the 50s. You can imagine my surprise and delight. Although I knew everything about my father’s side, I knew nothing of my mother’s. I purchased the certificate and have now completed her ancestry back to Wales early 1800s.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 06 September 18 12:52 BST (UK) »

I read the Opening Post as though Andcarred is referring to New South Wales BDM restrictions for accessing their marriage registrations.  I doubt there's many ways to determine my maiden name without accessing NSW BDM records.    I have tried, so too have my elderly rellies, including retired clergy, retired Archivist, retired senior officers from NSW BDM and we have challenged the younger set to finding us online....  they have not yet succeeded, despite being given clues like: 

Typing something in red doesn't make it any easier or clearer to read. As I said - your people have limited internet exposure. If they don't want to be found online - that is to their benefit.

I do not take kindly to be yelled at on an internet forum & this red type is the same as writing in all caps. Please do not reply to me in this fashion.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Westward,

There's many opportunities to advance sensible discussions here on the Australia Board and elsewhere at RChat, and I approach each opportunity with good will, as I assume you and everyone else does.  To me, it is important when contracting a post for the purposes of quoting a fellow RChatter, that the extracted quote does NOT mis-represent the original quote.  I expressed my concern that you were mis-quoting me, by highlighting it in red and underlining it.   If you feel this is the same same shouting at you, then that's your interpretation.  I know my intent was to emphasise it.   If that is not complying with your standards then I suggest you use the R2M button and actively involve a Global Moderator.   

You did not actually write or infer that I and.or my rellies had limited internet exposure.   You wrote :

I read the Opening Post as though Andcarred is referring to New South Wales BDM restrictions for accessing their marriage registrations.  I doubt there's many ways to determine my maiden name without accessing NSW BDM records.   

JM

You must have a limited internet presence. My mother's maiden name and my maiden name are online with the SMH notice of my birth. Very easy to find. My marriage notice can also be found in the NSWSL and the NLA SMH images. My mothers maiden and married name is on her memorial inscription and on the funeral notice which can be found in local newspapers (index on the Ryerson Index). My married name is on that funeral notice, so not difficult to determine my maiden name from said notice. Her maiden name is also in archive records related to her profession before marriage. My husband and his siblings can be found in the Qld archives school records.

I didn't know it was compulsory on this website  to discuss only the exact item as mentioned by the OP. As I demonstrate above, there are many ways to find out a person's maiden name without reference to the NSW BDM records. Consequently I don't have a problem with finding my marriage in the NSW indexes.

I understand that others may not agree with me, but I disagree that the information for many people cannot be found elsewhere, I have found it for many of the people I have researched without access to their marriage certificate.

and

I read the Opening Post as though Andcarred is referring to New South Wales BDM restrictions for accessing their marriage registrations.  I doubt there's many ways to determine my maiden name without accessing NSW BDM records.    I have tried, so too have my elderly rellies, including retired clergy, retired Archivist, retired senior officers from NSW BDM and we have challenged the younger set to finding us online....  they have not yet succeeded, despite being given clues like: 

Typing something in red doesn't make it any easier or clearer to read. As I said - your people have limited internet exposure. If they don't want to be found online - that is to their benefit.

I do not take kindly to be yelled at on an internet forum & this red type is the same as writing in all caps. Please do not reply to me in this fashion.

It is fine to disagree, but it is also fine to acknowledge when those of a contra-view  provide relevant information to support their view and that information is such that it can be substantiated with independent sources cited in the post.

JM  edited for some grammar, spelling. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
May we please return to the topic

Hi All,

Is anyone else concerned about the 50 year closure on Marriages.   I personally do not think it is long enough.   My marriage details have now appeared on the NSW BDM site and while this does not particularly worry me I know there are some of my friends who married around the same time who are quite concerned that this information has been made public.

It is quite common now for couples to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversaries so I query whether a 50 year closure period is satisfactory.   What do other RootChat members think?

Andcarred
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 06 September 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was married in the ACT in the 1960's.  ACT historical marriages are from 1930-1941. If I wanted to get a copy of my marriage I would have to pay a hefty fee and provide proof of identity.
Maybe the state registries are a little generous with their information.

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 07 September 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I did ask for opinions and thank everyone.  One unexpected outcome of the NSW 50 year closure has been that if you apply for a passport the passport office will no longer accept the copy of the Marriage Certificate given to the bride and groom by the Minister at the Church.   It is now necessary to pay the fee and produce all the identity documents to get a copy of the Registered Marriage Certificate.

I don't know if the Privacy Laws have ever been tested as far as a Certificate posted on Ancestry is concerned.  I think it would be against the Australian privacy laws to copy someone else's certificate from Ancestry if it is within the closure period, also illegal to have posted in the first place.  Does anyone ever read the privacy statements on the bottom of certificates?  Doesn't seem like it.  I am sure that is why Ancestry is so willing to remove copies when asked.  The question is complicated, starting with the fact Ancestry is an American company operating worldwide so what country's laws apply.   Copyright laws are also a minefield.  All too complicated for a "little old lady" doing her family tree.

Cheers,

Andcarred 
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 07 September 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
When my wife and I went to apply for our passports in 2009, we had to get the full BDM copy of our marriage certificate.

Also, just to add to the fun ::) we had to get a full copy of my wifes birth certificate, as her parents had never applied for it at birth.

As we are coming up to our 49th anniversary, we will have to have a look out next year for the release of the information. :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 07 September 18 07:36 BST (UK) »
 :)  I think I needed the NSW BDM certified copy of our marriage registration when we went for our passports too.   I think it was for proof of my name change.   I know it was not needed for my husband's passport. 

:)

JM

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 07 September 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
majm, I think you are right about the name change. I cannot remember the details, as it was ten years ago :o