Author Topic: Birth/baptism records Birkenhead district  (Read 829 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth/baptism records Birkenhead district
« on: Friday 31 August 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was born in Birkenhead in 1882 and her birth is registered in her mother's maiden name, the father is not named. Is there anywhere that might have recorded his name? I know there were bastardy registers, but I think 1882 is too late.
Her mother married 3 or 4 years later to the man that is regarded as the father, but there is no way (other than DNA possibly) of determining if he really was the father.
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/baptism records Birkenhead district
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 01:21 BST (UK) »
Birkenhead is Cheshire not Lancashire so I will ask the moderator to move your post.

In answer to your question.  Did your grandmother name a father on her marriage cert?  If she did and if he had the same surname as her - then she made him up.    If she knew her biological father and named him that is the only way you will find out his name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Sometimes, a father is named on a baptism register - but that largely depends on the vicar :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Birkenhead is Cheshire not Lancashire so I will ask the moderator to move your post.
No point in moving the post as it is not specific to the place, it's a general observation.  Or move it to the common room.

Surely the phrase "the man that is regarded as the father" gets to the heart of the question.  What is the definition of someone's father?  It is the man who is regarded as, it is the man who lived with the mother and brought up the child. 

My ancestors include one girl born "illegitimate" to a twice-widowed woman, we will never know via records who her father was.  And another who was born a few months before the parents got married, the birth/baptism both record the child with the mother's surname but thereafter all the records show the surname as the married name along wth all the later children.

Your definition of someone's father might instead be a genetic definition, but in that case you have to accept that any child in your tree with married parents might not be the genetic product of those two named people. 

All of which is just to say that this thing we call family history is not an exact science.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
I think it’s clear to us all that this is a question about who her actual biological father was
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
Look at your greatgrandmothers address and profession in 1881 and of her future husband   maybe if they lived in close proximity that would be a clue that he was the actual father ....
On the 1891 census is your grandmother noted as daughter ..rather than stepdaughter ?

Cheshirerecord office does have Affiliation orders if your greatgrandmother did take another man to court to pay for this baby
Also there may be other clues in the baptism record .my grandmother had a different middle name on birth cert and baptism . 
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson